Dual booting Windows 7/10 on separate SSDs

spud

I have a machine with 3 OS's installed win10, win7 and ubuntu all on there own SSD. I'm not to worried about the Linux SSD at the moment.

Using DiskPart I have hidden both versions of windows from seeing each other once they have booted.

a.PNG

So volume 4 is Win7 "C" which I'm now booted into and volumes 0 to 3 are all to do with win10, volume 0 is the "C" drive for win10 once booted in to 10.

I've tried this which didn't work

b.PNG

My question is how do I go about adding Win10 to the boot menu when I have no drive label assigned to win10 from win7 which is obviously where I have EasyBCD installed.

Is this even possible without reassigning drive letters to each OS? Which will not be happening BTW. :smile:

Thanks in advance

OK been doing a little homework and I think I'm a little closer to solving this

Using the bcdedit command in Win10 I get this

c.PNG

And comparing it with the output from EasyBCD here for the Win7 setup I can sort of understand what needs to happen

d.PNG

Now if I could manually setup the boot side of things for Win10 I'm sure I could get this working without to much trouble, is it possible to manually configure this?

Thanks again.

If you want EasyBCD to set up an entry of another version of Windows, it has to be able to find it so you'll need to give it a letter at least for the time that EasyBCD is running.
Don't worry yourself about having an unwanted letter in the BCD.
There are no letters in the BCD.
EasyBCD just uses the letter as a user-friendly way to determine what you want. The entry it creates will be in the mandatory BCD uid format, using the OS registry device table to determine the correct necessary device and offset information.

If you want EasyBCD to set up an entry of another version of Windows, it has to be able to find it so you'll need to give it a letter at least for the time that EasyBCD is running.

Yeah I did work that out already.

I had to install easybcd in win10 and work from there, installing in 7 it just couldn't seem to find the efi stuff needed to boot 10.

All good now though everythings booting as expected drive letters have been removed and everyones happy including me! :smile:

Thanks for the help

Glad everything's as you want it now.
Older versions of Windows bootmgr cannot boot newer versions of Winload (invalid digital signature), so you'll always need to use the latest version of Windows to control the boot (or upgrade the W7 bootmgr to the W10 (bigger) version)

I have a similar situation. My triple boot system has Windows XP, 7, and 10. I primarily use 7 as I still use Windows Media Center.

I had to to do a repair reinstall of Windows 7. I was able to get access going again to XP but am having problems getting to 10. I keep getting an error message about unsigned drivers.

If I hit F12 I can pick the hard drive where Windows 10 is located and it will boot. But I would rather boot from the regular menu. Can you give some guidance on where to go with this?

I have the same problem. Have Win 10 and Win 7 on SSD separate disks. Easy BCD installed on both. If booting from Win 7 then unable to boot on Win 10 from the EasyBoot menu, and the same situation if do from Win 10 to Win 7. The message is this: <<Windows can not verify digital signature>>. I removed permanently digital signature check. No effect.
Is there any possibility to get this work ? Thanking in advance.

I have the same problem. Have Win 10 and Win 7 on SSD separate disks. Easy BCD installed on both.

You only need to install it in Windows 10 and do all the configuration from there, the mistake I made was installing in 7 which wasn't going to work due to what Terry60 explained above as in "Older versions of Windows bootmgr cannot boot newer versions of Winload" once I installed it in Win10 everything worked as expected and haven't had a problem since.

Thank you for reply. I just did uninstall Easy Boot from Win 7 disk. While booting (win 7), the boot menu still appears. Possibly the application did not uninstalled completely ? as I still getting the message re. inability to verify signature. Therefore have to go to F8 menu and disable verification requirement manually, the option that does not exist in Win 10. Is it Ok that boot menu still appears after I uninstalled Easy BCD ? Thank you.

Thank you for reply. I just did uninstall Easy Boot from Win 7 disk. While booting (win 7), the boot menu still appears.

I think you misunderstand how this software works, its a frontend that allows you to configure the boot manager for windows.

Once you have the boot menu configured to your liking you could if you wanted to completely uninstall EasyBCD and the boot menu is still going to work.

Welcome spud. Long time since anybody new chipped in with a reply here.
Aramzon, your problem is that you're using the wrong OS to control your boot.
You must use the newest version of Windows on your PC as the initial entry point to the boot process.
Go into you BIOS settings and change the HDD boot sequence priority so that you boot W10 at power up.
In W10 add a BCD entry for W7. That will work.
You cannot successfully boot W10 from W7.

Welcome spud. Long time since anybody new chipped in with a reply here.
Aramzon, your problem is that you're using the wrong OS to control your boot.

Yep thats what I said :smile:

Oh and great software BTW, makes life so much easier setting up boot menus

Back