Dualboot problems 2 seperate disks (vista / Kubuntu)

torment

Hello,

I have 1 disk with vista installed (this is a RAID 1)
after that i wanted to install kubuntu on the same drive, but linux doesn't work well with RAID so i added a second drive.
I unplugged the cable from the RAID system and installed linux on (on that moment) the only drive on my pc.
After that i plugged in the RAID system again so i could use both systems....

I tryed almost everything i found on the internet, but nothing seems to work
the only way i can switch is to boot into the BIOS and change my startup drive.

Can someone please help.
My linux menu.lst looks like this:

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=67aaf08f-60d0-43ea-9c06-147e168739f6 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

p.s. using kubuntu 8.10

If you're using NeoGrub uninstall it. Go to the NeoGrub tab to do this in EasyBCD. Delete the existing entry for Linux and then go to the Linux tab. Select the correct disk/partition for Linux from the drop down and then select the checkbox for grub is not installed to mbr before adding the entry. Restart and test the entry. If it worked, you should get a second menu with your Linux entries.

Now when you select your Kubuntu entry to boot it, be prepared for that not to work. This is because at the time of the install Kubuntu was first in the system and now it is 3rd. The "root (hdx,y)" lines in your entries hence need to be changed in x from 0 to 2 so that it is pointing to the correct disk. Grub offers an edit feature in which you can temporarily change the settings of your entries during boot time. Follow the directions on your screen to make the changes until you can successfully boot Kubuntu.

Next you'll need to modify your menu.lst to permantely save these changes for future booting. To do this, open a terminal window and issue: sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst. This well open grub's configuration file in gedit so that you can make the changes.

I also have this issue as you replied to my previous thread

i selected linux entry like you mentioned but just a grub prompt shows,

i type root and it shows the vista partition,
whilst when i type root (hd1,0) shows linux,
what enteries do i need to insert in the /NST/menu.lst file to boot from the linux partition ?

i got to a point where i can choose linux in the bootmanager
i used neogrub
when i go to the grub commandprompt (c)
and type root, it says that (hd0,0) = ntfs , so this is my vista drive...
then i typed root = (hd1,0), it returned ext2fs, so this is the linux-swap
then i typed root = (hd1,1), it returned drive cannot be mounted....
is it hidden or something
i tryed all posible (hdx,y) combinations, nothing else exists..

My method sets up NeoGrub automatically with the correct configuration, so that you do not need to fiddle around with creating the proper menu.lst to boot Linux.

but neogrub cannot browse in the /boot/grub folder,
i issue the commands for neogrub to find /boot/vmlinuz after i specify the root for the linux partition

but no luck

Back