Dula Boot Vista/XP on a Dell Vostro 1700

ary

Hi,

I have a dell vostro 1700. It had 4 partitions: utility,os,recovery,media. I deleted the media partition and create a new ntfs partition where i installed XP (with a custom installation cd made with nlite and the sata drivers).

I then run vista and easyBCD configure the 2 entries (i had to copy de booting files downoaded from this forums to the XP partition).

The dual booting dont works, when i start the computer it runs vista directly without any booting menu.

Are the Dell computers (with all its partitions) a special case? have i made something wrong?

Thank you from spain (sorry for my english :frowning: ).

Hi ary, welcome to NST

I'm assuming you fixed the Vista bootloader after installing XP. If not boot from a Vista DVD/recovery disc and do startup repair to get Vista to boot again. Was XP booting correctly though before? There are no special files you need from here with the exception of EasyBCD of course. Check to verify that boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com are at the root of Vista's partition (should be on XP's if you can't find them to copy over) and verify that the entry for XP that you created is pointing there.

Please read points 3 5and 6 in the sticky thread Ary.
If you don't understand my English, post a screenshot of your Disk Management display and we'll tell you where to put whatever you need.

I outta remember that sticy you posted for now on. Its less typing I haft to do. Thanks for posting it.

Please read points 3 5and 6 in the sticky thread Ary.
If you don't understand my English, post a screenshot of your Disk Management display and we'll tell you where to put whatever you need.

Hey...just one question! :smile: Why did you make the text so tiny in parts of the sticky thread, so its difficult to read??? :wtf: Why not have larger text, so its easier to read? :wink: Its not that my eyesight is bad...its just it makes it easier to read when the text is larger. :smile:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
I agree. it is a little hard to read...
I would've made a comment there on it had the thread been open.

Sorry.
I wanted to make the text small so the post wouldn't seem intimidatingly long.

The instructions are normal forum default size but the italicized asides (explaining the background for the instruction steps) are indeed a little too small (but the advanced edit is a bit crude and doesn't allow for the subtlety of font sizes that a proper word processor does)
It looked better in the WP before I pasted it across to the forum.

I will bow to your user opinion and make it bigger. (The customer is always right !)

Addendum:

Sticky edited - Is that better ?
btw I closed it, because some users (me for instance) display last-first, and I didn't want them to end up scrolling down a mile to find the data. (just look at how the HnS download thread has ended up ! )
Feel free to suggest improvements or clarifications or additions at the Water Cooler or anywhere else we each happen to be at the time.
I monitor the forums via the "New Posts" button, not through subscription email, so I see every post in all threads in the order they're made, so the comments will find me wherever they're posted.

Last edited:
Yes it looks better and totally I understand, but the small 2-size font would probably turn users away from reading first over a slightly longer looking post. With one post there anyway a user would be more willing to read if it contained information thier looking for than reading through pages of replies.

Back