Duplicate Entries

ntstacey

Ran EasyBCD to access files from old system, all seemed OK. Remove entry in EacyBCD and then physically detached drive, set EasyBCD to skip boot menu. However at switch on system gives me choice of two systems - both with the same name. How do I get back to one system and automatically using it.

As suggestedv I read the thread and having load 2.2 I tried the Reset BCD option as I could not uncheck the default OS. I checked that I had added the system again and all seemed OK. The restart failed and I had to use the Windows discs to repair the system. This worked and I'm now loading without being asked to select. This has left me nervous about the whole dual boot idea, probably not want you want to hear.

What exactly are you trying to do ?
You said you didn't want a dual-boot and you don't have one, so why does the idea make you nervous ?
Incidentally, re-reading your OP, if you were just trying to access files from an old OS, you didn't need to do anything other than connect the HDD for that, and the running OS can extract any data from the old one without you needing to be able to boot it.
If it's an OS from an old, different PC, it's extremely unlikely that you could boot it on different hardware anyway.
Is there still something you need help with ?

I needed to load the old system to find out which driver files I should copy to the new system. I've now done that thanks to EasyBCD. The only part that made me nervous was returning to a single boot system which I eventually did but only after having run Windows Repair. Thanks for the help and advice.

Back