Easy BCD for DVD files

ruby633

I was trying to create a new partition/entry for a x64 file from my DVD drive. It is not a .iso or .img file but it's on the CD-R as a zip file. Is there a easy way to access this? Thanks, -gd

You wont be able to. You cant boot .zip files. You would need to have them on your hard drive as an Image of some sort.

thanks for response. there is no way to path to a boot file? and not to familiar with easy BCD but can you boot a setup.exe file?? thanks for tips.

-gd

No. EasyBCD is exactly what it sounds like. It is an "Easy" way to work with the BCD that is within Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Since there is no Windows bootloader that exists to date that can boot to a DVD Device, let alone one that can boot to a setup.exe file, then the answer is and always will be no.

You will have to create the boot file yourself for the DVD and from there you will have to create the setup file to run automatically. There is nothing out there that will do this for you. Especially if it is contained within a archived file, meaning a rar or zip file.

I'll work on it, thank you.

Addendum

It still makes no sense that I can't just create my own path.

How about this? Can you convert .zip files into BCD files?

Last edited by a moderator:
BCD is not a filetype.
It's the Boot Configuration Data Store belonging to the Vista/7/8 boot manager.

Cheerio!

BCD is not a filetype.
It's the Boot Configuration Data Store belonging to the Vista/7/8 boot manager.

Thank you , Terry. I'm still having trouble setting the path in the 2.1.2 version and it doesn't appear to be insync with the program (neogrub extender, etc.) in the BIOS start-up. Does this sound familiar?

-gd

I'll work on it, thank you.

Addendum

It still makes no sense that I can't just create my own path.

How about this? Can you convert .zip files into BCD files?

Please read my previous response fully and try to understand.

You can not use EasyBCD to point to a file on a DVD ROM and have it boot. It does not work that way. No files with .zip, .rar can be booted from. Executable files are not bootable, they have auto run commands built in on CD's and DVD's that cause the setup process to begin.

I said it previously, what you want can not be done. Period, end of story. There is no way to make it work cause what you want does not exist in the world of computing.

You can create your own bootable disk and from there have it execute something. But the issue is that without an Operating System to process the commands, the disk will do nothing when you boot from it. All Live Disks like Ubuntu and versions of WinPE actually have Linux or light weight versions of Windows built into the disk and from there can execute commands. There is no way you can create a bootable disk and execute just a single program, especially if that program require Windows to operate in the first place.

You need to fully understand that aspect before you try to commit to making a bootable disk of anything.

Back