Easy BCD in dual boot

Is there an NST folder on the XP partition ?
I confess to being mystified as to exactly what twisted path your boot chain is taking, but those unwanted menu options have got to be hiding somewhere.
You're probably going to need Guru's detailed knowledge of the internals to decypher what's happening.
I'm just another user, fairly adept at diagnosing people's mistakes in attempting a conventional dual-boot, but I don't have the author's insight to debug the labyrinth you have managed to create !
At least it's only a cosmetic exercise, and you do actually have the full use of your systems, otherwise you'd be tearing your hair at my pathetic attempts to help.
The XP entry in your first menu is using NST_grub but somehow seems to be chaining into your second BCD. (I've used Neogrub in the days before HnS, which uses menu.lst, but I don't know what the differences are between Neo and NST_, which both appear in my NST folder)
I'm afraid you'll just have to wait around till Guru appears for advice on how to edit a non-active BCD.

frustrated, here's what you should do:

1) Set up a new entry in EasyBCD for Windows XP. Create it using the normal Windows XP dual-boot method from the "Windows" section of the Add/Remove Entries page.
2) Verify that the new entry works.
At this point, getting into XP should follow something like this:
Power On -> BIOS -> Windows Boot Manager (Vista/EasyBCD's boot menu) -> selection of Windows XP entry -> Windows XP
3) Boot back into Vista, delete the other XP entry.
You should now have only a Vista entry and a single XP entry that is the new one we created in step 1 above.

Sholud work...

Ok I uninstalled EasyBCD from XP a week ago and now I create a new entry and yes XP now boots with only 1 menu however I see the following error:

Code:
Invalid Boot.ini file Booting from C:\windows
XP still loads ok. Here are the contents of EasyBCD and the new entry XP New:

Code:
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {6bb9caaa-520c-11dd-9712-96579e23830f}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Vista
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {6bb9caab-520c-11dd-9712-96579e23830f}
nx                      OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {64a66a93-51fa-11dd-a8e9-0011d8441166}
path                    \NST\nst_grub.mbr
description             XP

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {64a66a94-51fa-11dd-a8e9-0011d8441166}
path                    \NTLDR
description             XP New

Last edited:
There is already a hidden boot.ini file at the root of the primary partition in which XP Pro is installed:

Code:
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

In Vista this partition is not C: but rather F: I believe but EasyBCD is set to use c:\ as the location for XP . Should it be F:\ instead?

Since I am still using XP as my main O/S, what is the best way of backing up the bootloader etc so in case for whatever reason I have to remove Vista or reinstall it that I can still use XP?

Thanks for the help.

Back