EasyBCD 2.0 Build 100

Coolname007

Distinguished Member
I just reinstalled XP on my computer, and installed EasyBCD 2.0 Build 100 in XP.
I had an external HDD with a corrupted MBR, and was expecting to use the MbrFix found in EasyBCD's bin folder in previous builds to fix it, but I see now that its not included with this build...

Why is that?

Also, if anyone has any ideas for fixing my HDD, I'd love to hear them. I tried testdisk, and it shows all 3 partitions (1 NTFS, 1 Fat32, and the last one HFS+ for PC-BSD Unix) when I analyze the disk, but I can not rebuild the boot sector on the two Windows filesystem partitions because the partitions don't display on the page of TestDisk that gives you that option.
I tried MbrFix on the HDD as well (which I had to download and install by itself), and used the "fixmbr" option, but that didn't fix the problem, so I'm thinking maybe the problem isn't the MBR after all, and its probably the bootsectors of the partitions. But I can't fix them if testdisk wont see them on the page where you can rebuild the bootsector, and I can't rewrite the boot code on the partitions with bootsect.exe because there are no drive letters given to any of the partitions by Windows on the HDD, and Disk Management shows the whole disk as unformatted space, and doesn't see the partitions at all.
BootIt NG displays the following things on the external HDD

DATA
Free space
Image Backups
PC-BSD
As you can see, free space directly follows the first partition (DATA) and then the other two partitions come after that. I know the partitions are still there and the filesystems intact because I was able to access the files on all 3 partitions from Testdisk, but Windows wont see the partitions at all.
Also, from Ubuntu, when I plug up the HDD, a "USB HDD" icon pops up in Computer, but when I try double-clicking on it, an error dialog pops up, saying it cannot mount the HDD.

Oh, and I am able to boot into PC-BSD from BING's boot menu, so obviously nothing is wrong with the PC-BSD partition.

So I'm all out of ideas right now. :frowning:

Jake, BootGrabber.exe in conjunction with standard MS tools now provides me with everything I need, so no more MBRFix. I only used it until I had the time to write my own code.

You *should* be able to use TestDisk in advanced mode to write the details of whatever partitions you choose.

Jake, BootGrabber.exe in conjunction with standard MS tools now provides me with everything I need, so no more MBRFix. I only used it until I had the time to write my own code.
Ok, thanks. Any chance I can run BootGrabber.exe with a few arguments and get it to fix the HDD then?
You *should* be able to use TestDisk in advanced mode to write the details of whatever partitions you choose.
"Advanced" mode is what I already tried, but testdisk reported it couldn't find any partitions on that HDD. It will only see them when I use the "Analyze" feature.

It's (*thankfully!*) been a while since I had to use TestDisk, but I believe you can copy down data from Analyze and enter manually in Advanced Mode?

Back