EasyBCD 2.0 Build 67 worked like a charm to dual-boot Vista + Ubuntu 9.10

alphaba

Kudos and many thanks to the developer of this nice piece of software.

Two days ago, I installed Karmic Koala (ext4-formatted partition) on my Vista-OEMed HP Pavilion dv7. My first Linux!

I then downloaded EasyBCD 2.0 Build 67 in order to make a clean dual-boot, leaving Vista MBR untouched.

During the first try, I was so surprised to see that selecting 'GRUB 2' disabled the 'Device' option that I finally selected the 'GRUB Legacy' one to be able to choose a partition and to "tick". Of course, this resulted in a total failure to load anything else than an error message!

Disconcerted, I then read more on this forum about the new builds, to realize that, yes, EasyBCD 2.0 Build 67 was so well done that it no longer needed the 'Device' option when both OS are on the same HD.

Needless to say, the second time I selected 'GRUB 2' without hesitation and it was an immediate full success!

I take my hat off to Mahmoud!

Hi alphaba, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Thanks for your kind words of praise, I'm very happy to hear that EasyBCD is turning into a true one-click dual-boot solution.

None of this would have been possible without the user feedback and subtle hints provided by the support team here on the forums.

Have fun dual-booting!

I haven't been able to get it to work.

I tried booting into ubuntu 9.10 but I get this instead:

Try hd(0,0): Ext 2:

This is after I selected the Grub2 option in EasyBCD.

My harddrive is partitioned like this:

Vista sda2
Linux / sda 5 (ext 4)
Linux swap sda6

Not sure what to do...

Edit: Oh, by the way...I am using build 67 and my grub is installed on the Linux / sda 5

Last edited:
It should work with logical partitions too... Haven't tested it explicitly though; I should probably give that a try.

Sweet! EasyBCD 2.0 Beta build 76 worked great! Just creating a Grub2 Entry is enough, it'll be detected automatically!

Respect you for this easy tool. Thanks!

Back