EasyBCD (2.0) with ubuntu 9.04

Rain724

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem.

I can't for the life of me get my computer to boot my recent ubuntu 9.04 install (been working on it for a day now...). I have 6 hard-drives, ubuntu is installed on the 6th drive (hd5,0), Vista x64 on the first, and the middle ones are for storage. Grub is installed on the Ubuntu partition (hd5,0), and I am using ext4. What seems to be the problem is that NeoGrub cannot read the ext4 file system to indicate the boot. If I jump into command mode even, i cant even "cat" files on the ubuntu ext4 partition. I read some other posts and yes, I am using the EasyBCD 2.0 beta.

Here is my NeoGrub menu.lst file:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

default 0
timeout 30

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid ba5aa58e-1466-457f-84e1-f79f123e3e62
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=ba5aa58e-1466-457f-84e1-f79f123e3e62 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

title ----------------------
root

title Back
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
savedefault
chainloader +1

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks A LOT in advance,
~Rain724

Last edited by a moderator:
Ext4 might be the problem. I think CG said something about support being added for it in the next version of NeoGrub. Other than that take a look at your menu.lst. (hd5,0) may not be the correct place for Ubuntu at boot time, so keep changing it until you find the right place.

Ext4 might be the problem. I think CG said something about support being added for it in the next version of NeoGrub.
It is apparently fully supported in the 2.0 beta.

Other than that take a look at your menu.lst. (hd5,0) may not be the correct place for Ubuntu at boot time, so keep changing it until you find the right place.
(hd5,0) is the correct place. Its on my last (6th) hard-drive. (I have also tried hd0-hd4, no luck)

Thanks,
Rain724

Ok, instead of this:

Code:
uuid ba5aa58e-1466-457f-84e1-f79f123e3e62

Try this:

Code:
find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic

Ext4fs the culprit : easy solution!

I have w7 installed after xp and linux boxes.
EasyBcd beta (latest) installed : neogrub won't do and I strongly suspected an ext4fs matter.
Grub4Dos has been updated last june to support ext4fs.
What I did was simply to copy grub4dos' grldr.mbr to \NST and replace Neogrub.mbr by grldr.mbr (simple matter of renaming files).
U know what?
I am happy!
Have just logged in my favourite linux box (arch linux) without a flaw!

Dear sirs at NeoSmart : small things to better our lives (and boots!).

Hi all!

Back