EasyBCD 2.1.2 "broke" Bootloader and can't acess Win 7

DavidNog

Hi guys,
I've a ASUS N56VZ with Intel Core i7 - 3610QM, with Win 7 Home Premium x64 pre-installed. This computer come with EFI instead of the traditional BIOS.
When I bought it, I had 3 visible partitions. C (System) - with windows and programs; D (Data) - in blank, I store some movies and other unimportant stuff; E (Recovery) - software from ASUS to recovery computer

So, as I'm at a Master's Degree in Computer Science, I needed to install Ubuntu. I made a partition from Win 7, reserving around 15 GB for Ubuntu 12.04.1.

It went fine, and the install was sucessful. I rebooted and I could get into Ubuntu. When I tried to enter Windows 7, I got this message:
"error: Invalid EFI file path.
Press any key to continue..."

So I get in Ubuntu again, and use repair-tool, which insert new entries on GRUB. Then, I got a new entry called "Windows UEFI loader". The old entry "Windows 7 (loader)" continued to not work. This new one, got me into Windows. And I should have stooped here.

But I though that this wasn't perfect, and installed EasyBCD 2.1.2 (actual version) on Windows. My idea was to replace GRUB by bootloader of Windows, and have the two entries there, for each OS.
The problem is that EasyBCD change my boot, and now I can't get into Windows anymore. I try to add those entries, but they do not have been sucessfull added.
Booting from windows, I have the Windows Boot Manager, with the two entries, but neither of them work. The Ubuntu retrieve a failure
"File: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
The Windows 7 entry, get me into a black screen, and don't get into the windows loading bar...
If I boot from Ubuntu, I have the GNU GRUB, which still allow me to get into Ubuntu. The problem is that the entry "Windows UEFI loader" that used to work, now get me into the Windows Boot Manager, that I've just described.

So, I even try to use the Windows 7 DVD, to select "repair the computer" and then repair the boot, but I got always this message:
"his version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

I tried the Wondershare LiveBoot 2012 software but that didn't solved too.

I've logged in Ubuntu and created this log with boot-repair, which I think can be of some help: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1227671/

Now I just want to be able to access Windows 7. I would prefer not to format and install Win 7 again, because I've a lot of programs installed and repeat that it's very time consuming, but if that's the only solution, that be. But I honestly think that I've used "every card" I knew to try to solve this..

Last edited:
Sounds like you're using a recovery CD from a 32- bit system. EasyBCD 2.1.2 is not EFI compatible (the latest 2.2 is).

Well, I can assure you tha I've used x64. I even tried several DVD, one that was Home Premium x64 and other universal x64, made by deleting ei.cfg.
Regarding that info, I didn't knew that at that time.

What can I do now?

SAME problem

Hi guys,
I've a ASUS N56VZ with Intel Core i7 - 3610QM, with Win 7 Home Premium x64 pre-installed. This computer come with EFI instead of the traditional BIOS.
When I bought it, I had 3 visible partitions. C (System) - with windows and programs; D (Data) - in blank, I store some movies and other unimportant stuff; E (Recovery) - software from ASUS to recovery computer

So, as I'm at a Master's Degree in Computer Science, I needed to install Ubuntu. I made a partition from Win 7, reserving around 15 GB for Ubuntu 12.04.1.

It went fine, and the install was sucessful. I rebooted and I could get into Ubuntu. When I tried to enter Windows 7, I got this message:
"error: Invalid EFI file path.
Press any key to continue..."

So I get in Ubuntu again, and use repair-tool, which insert new entries on GRUB. Then, I got a new entry called "Windows UEFI loader". The old entry "Windows 7 (loader)" continued to not work. This new one, got me into Windows. And I should have stooped here.

But I though that this wasn't perfect, and installed EasyBCD 2.1.2 (actual version) on Windows. My idea was to replace GRUB by bootloader of Windows, and have the two entries there, for each OS.
The problem is that EasyBCD change my boot, and now I can't get into Windows anymore. I try to add those entries, but they do not have been sucessfull added.
Booting from windows, I have the Windows Boot Manager, with the two entries, but neither of them work. The Ubuntu retrieve a failure
"File: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
The Windows 7 entry, get me into a black screen, and don't get into the windows loading bar...
If I boot from Ubuntu, I have the GNU GRUB, which still allow me to get into Ubuntu. The problem is that the entry "Windows UEFI loader" that used to work, now get me into the Windows Boot Manager, that I've just described.

So, I even try to use the Windows 7 DVD, to select "repair the computer" and then repair the boot, but I got always this message:
"his version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

I tried the Wondershare LiveBoot 2012 software but that didn't solved too.

I've logged in Ubuntu and created this log with boot-repair, which I think can be of some help: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1227671/

Now I just want to be able to access Windows 7. I would prefer not to format and install Win 7 again, because I've a lot of programs installed and repeat that it's very time consuming, but if that's the only solution, that be. But I honestly think that I've used "every card" I knew to try to solve this..

Hi I have exact the same situation, was it possible to you to finally fix it. if yes, can you please tell me how???

No, it wasn't. I gave up and use the Recovery DVD's and turn it equal to the stage as I bought it. Then, I install all my programs again and copy my data to the disc.
For using the Ubuntu, I'm working on with through a virtual machine, with VirtualBox.

If you happen to be able to solve it, please tell me how for future reference. I would also be happy if someone tell me how could I install Ubuntu in dual boot in this laptop, as it has UEFI.

I'm working on a guide to rebuilding the BCD for EFI systems; I'm testing it out for myself and documenting everything.

I'm working on a guide to rebuilding the BCD for EFI systems; I'm testing it out for myself and documenting everything.

Have you already finished your guide? I'm about to try to install Ubuntu again, and I'll would like to use a tutorial that somebody already tested to be useful.. xD

The guide has not been published, but anyone needing to rebuild an EFI boot can use our Windows recovery CDs which will rebuild the EFI BCD and re-configure the boot as needed, in case of emergency.

Back