EasyBCD 2.1 cannot find or load the Linux partition

I am running Windows 7, SP1. My computer has four separate internal hard drives and 8 Gigs of RAM. Windows 7 is installed on a 256 gig SSD which is first in the drive chain (sda).

I have installed Linux Mint 11 (with Grub2) onto the second hard drive (sdb). I have created two partitions - the first being the swap file, the second being the root. All linux files are located on sdb2. Grub is located on sdb.

I can see all hard disks in both Windows 7 and when I load GParted.

I have configured EasyBCD 2.1 to look for a Grub2 installation of Linux. It finds it (appropriately) on sdb2. When I boot and attempt to go to the linux OS using EasyBCD I get the following error messages: ERROR: no such device (followed by a UUID #); ERROR: no such partition; ERROR: You need to load the kernel first; Failed to boot both default and fallback entries. I have installed Linux many times, on occasion loading grub onto sda. Even when I do that, grub is unable to find the device and partition.

Next I attempted to use NeoGrub and point directly to the Linux installation. My C:\NST\menu.1st file (and this is for Linux Mint 9) is as follows:

title Linux Mint
root (sdb,2)
find --set-root /dev/sdb2/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic ro root=/dev/sdb2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic

The script doesn't get past the "root" line, again not finding any drive.

When I load the Super Grub2 grub repair program, it cannot find a single operating system - not even Windows 7 (which is functioning perfectly). When I ask it to list the available drives, it lists only the CD from which it is running. Yet, when I load PartedMagic, all disk drives appear.

Since the drives don't show up in Super Grub2, I'm wondering if this is a EasyBCD issue or whether EasyBCD is having the same problem finding the drives as is Super Grub2.

I'd sure appreciate the thoughts of someone more knowledgeable than myself!

Thanks!

Several hours later...

During further experimenting, I went into the BIOS setup and disabled the three internal hard drives not associated with my Linux installation. I then proceeded to install 64-bit Linux Mint Debian Edition on sdb, and it installed successfully, and I could boot successfully. In fact, I applied all the available updates!

I then went back into BIOS update and enabled the three internal hard drives that I had previously disabled. When I rebooted, Windows 7 on sda booted. I loaded EasyBCD 2.1, deleted the previous entry for the Linux installation and created a new entry using Grub2. I then rebooted, and ... this time I actually saw the grub menu, but when I highlighted the entry for the standard version of Linux, I again was confronted with a screen which said "No such device" or something similar.

In summary, the Linux installation boots when the disk upon which Windows is installed is disabled in BIOS, but the Linux installation will NOT boot when the disk upon which Windows is installed is enabled.

This is WAY beyond my level of understanding!!

Last edited:
Well, there have been 181 views and no responses, so this must be a problem not easily diagnosed!

I have searched the Internet, and at the web site "http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html" I found a free product called Plop Boot Manager. I scrolled down the boot manager web page to the section "Run from the Windows boot menu (NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Win7)" and ran the batch program "InstallToBootMenu". This adds an entry to the Windows boot menu. When one selects this entry, all the disk partitions from which one should be able to boot are listed. When I selected the partition upon which my Linux installation was located, the computer promptly booted into Linux!

Problem solved! I can select AND RUN my Linux installation from the Windows boot menu! This wasn't exactly how I envisioned things would work, but what the heck!
[h=3][/h]

Hey John,

EasyBCD has native PLoP support, you can add it under the "BIOS Extender" section :smile:

Back