EasyBCD 2.3 and Win XP

Hi,

I've had a triple boot configuration for quite some time, using EasyBCD 2.2. with Windows XP+7+8. No issues whatsoever.

I made the mistake of upgrading that Windows 8 to Windows 10, and also EasyBCD 2.2 to 2.3 because it says to support Windows 10.

One of those choices was a mistake. Windows XP stopped booting altogether. It says "system32\ntoskrnl.exe" is missing or corrupt. It isn't, and I've read and tried every resolution that Microsoft or other support pages offer. I recovered the whole XP partition from a backup file, and it still does not boot in the multi-boot environment (alone it does). Even tried to manually edit boot.ini with no success. Tried every option I can think of using EasyBCD.

I can boot to Win 7 and Win 10, and access EasyBCD 2.3. How could I get WinXP to boot again? Was Win XP support trashed in version 2.3, sorry if I did not notice that? Thanks!

I forgot to mention that each of the OSs is stored on a physically different disk. I boot from the one having Windows 10 and the MBR of this one is, if I understand correctly, controlling which one the three disks to boot. Win 10 and Win 7 do ok, and Win XP did earlier, but no more. I can boot the Win XP disk alone, but as part of the multiboot setup, I cannot, no matter which options I try in EasyBCD. I get that "ntoskrnl.exe" message no matter what I try. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi Paheikki,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with EasyBCD. Did you delete and recreate the XP entry in EasyBCD 2.3 before it stopped working?

Hi, thank you for your message. I do not recall, if I did that, but inspired by your message, I tried the following: manually edited boot.ini of the XP disk (it seemed to me the disk number was incorrect), then deleted and recreated the XP entry in EasyBCD 2.3.

And behold: it works now!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Awesome! Thanks for posting back with the update, and congrats on getting it working.