EasyBCD 2.3 Beta - Build 203 fails to load on Win7x64 Home Premium updated 2015-09-24

steje

New Member
#1
The first 2.3 builds I've tried (202, and just now 203) both fail to load on my OS.

Would the files produced by the Windows Error Report system be of any use?

The Event log shows the following two errors:

Code:
Application: EasyBCD.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Stack:
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].get_Item(System.__Canon)
at NeoSmart.Localization.LocaleManager.Localize(System.Windows.Forms.Control)
at ..()
at ...ctor(Boolean)
at NeoSmart.EasyBCD.MainUI..ctor()
at ..()
Code:
Faulting application name: EasyBCD.exe, version: 2.3.0.203, time stamp: 0x560c25a6
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18939, time stamp: 0x55b02e7b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b16d
Faulting process id: 0x4840
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0fc8738fb0c02
Faulting application path: C:\jtools\easybcd\EasyBCD.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 7a4f0985-687a-11e5-a319-3c970e680a6a
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#2
Uh-oh.

What language did you select in EasyBCD's localization pop up?
 

steje

New Member
#3
I haven't seen a localization popup at all... was that supposed to have appeared during install - or on first run?

I have since rolled back an OS image, and re-installed to default folder and it loads fine??? I've also then re-installed it over the top of itself but to an alternate location and it still worked. Not sure why... I had tried copying the binaries to a USB folder to run on another machine, and had the problem.

I imagine you don't expect or intend for people to run EasyBCD as a portable app right now... but do you have any plans at all for a portable edition?
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#4
Yes, I noticed that you weren't running EasyBCD from the default location in the first post. Make sure the lang folder is also copied at all times.
I'll continue to look into this.
 

steje

New Member
#5
Thanks for pointing me at the lang folder. Though accidental, I discovered the crash reported above was caused simply from the "easybcd\lang\en-US" folder being lower cased to "easybcd\lang\en-us". Holy sensitive startup routine :smile:... All is well after re-upper casing the US string.
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#6
Interesting. Windows itself isn't case-sensitive, so obviously something in our own code is to blame here. Let me look into it further, thank you very much for helping find this.
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#7
@steje this should be resolved in build 204. The case of language subfolders under lang should not matter now.
 

steje

New Member
#8
Well, it was a self inflicted issue while trying to do something you don't support. Such is life - thanks for checking into it. I agree it's seomthign that should be fixed if easy to do so, just on principle to avoid a startup crash.
 
#10
Sorry to report that build 204 shows the same problem in a quick test here. If the en-US folder or most any of it's contents are lower cased, then the same sort of startup failure or other sorts of crashes happen.

Note: I ack that this is a pathological sort of problem you shouldn't have to worry about ppl inflicting on themselves... :wink:
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#11
Actually, that's my fault - I didn't include the updated localization DLL in the latest setup package. If you replace it with this one, you should see the changes.
 

Attachments

#12
Confirmed, that updated dll resolves the problem caused by lowercase rename of the lang\* folder. Things still break if any of the 'contents' are lower-cased still, with some particularly interesting breakage happening when bcdlibrary.xml is lower cased :wink:...

But again, a pathological situation to be sure.