EasyBCD 2

stumac

Just installed EasyBCD to fix dual boot vista/xp system
Added xp entry, accepted to I want it to change blah, blah and now my NTLDR file is 15GB increasing!!

Help!

Addendum:

Stopped the ntldr file increasing to killing off bootgrabber.exe. It's now 24GB! How do I fix it??

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Stumac, welcome to NST.
Your situation is a real shocker ! I have never heard of such a thing before. :wtf::S
Why would NTLDR increase its size when adding a XP entry in EasyBCD?? Your guess is as good as mine unfortunately...
I guess we will have to wait until the developer (Computer Guru) shows up in this thread to explain the freak occurrence.

Cheers.

Jake

Don't worry about it, you're probably picking up a more up to date version from EasyBCD than exists on your XP CD.

Attachments

• ntldrsize.JPG
    ntldrsize.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 11
Oh yes, so he did !
I wonder if that's just a typo ?
Otherwise I'd suspect a piece of malware masquarading as NTLDR.

Oh yes, so he did !
I wonder if that's just a typo ?
Otherwise I'd suspect a piece of malware masquarading as NTLDR.
Yes, that is why it sounds so strange. The NTLDR file shouldn't be nearly as big as that! :brows: I just looked at mine, and the size was only 291 KBs. Hard to imagine how you could make a typing error of those proportions though.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Sorry for not typing in english yesterday, but I was in a bit of a panic when I saw my free disk space disappearing! Yes my ntldr file which is on my c:\ drive (my vista partition) only stopped increasing in size when I killed off the bootgrabber.exe process (which is in F:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin, on my xp partition) ntldr finished up 23,837,036 KB in ize. I replaced it with ntldr from my xp install cd and i've booted back into the xp partition fine. Normally I would ask if you would like me to post the file here but I'm guessing not......
Anyway, I'm one of the people who installed xp after vista an couldn't figure out how to use easybcd 1.7 to make the boot menu appear. The only way I could do it was to use the manage bootloader option and install/uninstall the vista boot loader. So EacyBCD 2 .0 sounded like the answer which is why I've ended up here!
Should I give it another go?

Hi Guys,
Sorry for not typing in english yesterday, but I was in a bit of a panic when I saw my free disk space disappearing! Yes my ntldr file which is on my c:\ drive (my vista partition) only stopped increasing in size when I killed off the bootgrabber.exe process (which is in F:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin, on my xp partition) ntldr finished up 23,837,036 KB in ize. I replaced it with ntldr from my xp install cd and i've booted back into the xp partition fine. Normally I would ask if you would like me to post the file here but I'm guessing not......
That's approx. 22.8 GBs! Maybe its a bug with Bootgrabber...
Anyway, I'm one of the people who installed xp after vista an couldn't figure out how to use easybcd 1.7 to make the boot menu appear. The only way I could do it was to use the manage bootloader option and install/uninstall the vista boot loader. So EacyBCD 2 .0 sounded like the answer which is why I've ended up here!
Should I give it another go?
Yes, using the Reinstall the Vista bootloader option was the right thing to do, and I hope you didn't use the Uninstall the Vista bootloader option after...:wink:
If you didn't, then all you need to do is to install EasyBCD 2.0, delete the old XP entry, and create a new one, making sure to accept the offer to auto-configure boot.ini and create NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the "system" partition. Then you will have a dual-boot.
However, if you did use the Uninstall the Vista bootloader option after using the Reinstall one, then your options are to either use Reinstall the Vista bootloader option again, or to boot from your vista dvd, and run Startup Repair to put Vista back in charge of the boot.

Cheers.

Jake

Hi Jake, thanks for getting back to me.
The systems boots straight into the xp partition at the moment, so in easybdc 2.0, I delete the existing XP entry, and create a new one (which it automactically determines), I ok create boot.ini etc, then after that I reinstall the vista bootloader?

Have I got that right?

Many thanks,
Stuart

Hi Jake, thanks for getting back to me.
The systems boots straight into the xp partition at the moment, so in easybdc 2.0, I delete the existing XP entry, and create a new one (which it automactically determines), I ok create boot.ini etc, then after that I reinstall the vista bootloader?

Have I got that right?

Many thanks,
Stuart
Yep, that is correct. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:

Well! This time both ntldr and ntdetect.com started increasing in size:tongueout:oint:.
I had to kill easybdc and bootgrabber in taskmanager.

Addendum:

I uninstalled build 63 and installed build 53 (it's the next listed!) and everything now works perfectly.:tongueout:

Many thanks for all your help.

Stuart

Last edited:
Back