easybcd after grub in the mbr

Here is the scenario, a user has Vista, then installs Ubuntu, has easybcd booting a kernel but not the one wanted, and a ext2 boot partition, not sure why but that was the setup.

Upon close examination we find both grub-legacy and grub2 installed in the Ubuntu set up, we purge all the grubs, remove the boot partition, reinstall grub2. In the process of this happening grub2 the bootloader is put in the mbr overwriting the MS boot there already. At this point grub2 boots both Ubuntu and Vista.

So it seems to me that since the easybcd app is a boot modifier at the least for the MS boot to include other distro's, a install of grub in the mbr can be overwritten with the standard, bootrec.exe /fixmbr the straight MS boot is now back in the mbr.

The question I have is shouldn't the easybcd app be able to edit the MS boot still in spite of the grub2 install to the mbr.

Yes.
All of the EasyBCD functions for modifying the BCD will still work even if grub is controlling the boot.
You can also use it to take back control
Bootloader Setup > Install Vista/7 boot loader > write MBR
you don't need to use BCDedit

Yes.
All of the EasyBCD functions for modifying the BCD will still work even if grub is controlling the boot.
You can also use it to take back control
Bootloader Setup > Install Vista/7 boot loader > write MBR
you don't need to use BCDedit

Thanks I appreciate the confirmation.:wink:

Back