EasyBCD assigns wrong drive letter to WinXP partition

Mausebaer

Distinguished Member
While tinkering with the not-working-start from a SSD I found that there must something else wrong...

I have a WinXP OS on one of my partitions which I cannot start it anymore. Looking to the BCD adjustments I found, that there is a wrong drive letter. My WinXP is on partition H:. But it shows to partition J: (where is a Vista system)...

So I deleted this entry and tried to add a new entry. At once it shows that the correct drive has been automatically determined... But it's wrong. When I uncheck the box and choose the drive letter manually, the drive letter gets wrong inspite... Look at this picture:

wrong partition.jpg

However, on the drive where partition H: is there are still two other OS (a Vista and a Win8.1). When I change to drive H: as first boot device, a metro GUI starts and shows me Win8.1 and WinXP. Choosing WinXP it starts normally....

Can anybody explain what's up there?

At the footline of the Picture you can see also another bug:

"EasyBCD update check failed" The version parameter have to be greater than zero or equal zero (0). Parameter name: build
Why cames this message?

The BCD does not point to XP.
It points to where the boot files for starting XP are located.
EasyBCD puts those where they must be.
Don't change what EasyBCD sets up unless you want to break your boot.

...The problem is, that I cannot start WinXP (entry #8) via EasyBCD anymore, however it starts if I change the boot drive to the drive where WinXP is located on. In this case the start menu shows only the two system entries which are on the respective drive.... I already deleted the entry and tried to build it again, but starting of the partition fails...

The XP boot files must be on the booted partition.
That explains why it works when you boot from XP drive.
If you boot XP from anywhere else, just delete and add the XP entry again and let EasyBCD configure.
It will copy anything necessary to the boot drive and create the necessary chaining.
If you alter anything, you break the chain.

... At the moment I'm happy, I reinstalled V. 2.4 and tried to renew the WinXP-entry; this time it worked (automatically found the settings)... a couple of weeks ago I did the same, but WinXP didn't start...)

Thanx for your help.

BTW: The automatic update check fails, but there is already a different thread without reply exept of mine...

Back