EasyBCD booting to wrong partition

I set up EasyBCD 2.2 to multi boot Windows Vista, Ubuntu and Debian. All of the operating systems are in separate partitions on my C: drive. Windows is in partition 1, Ubuntu is in partition 2 and Debain is in partition 4 (partitions 3 and 5 are swap). In setting up the boots through EasyBCD I pointed to the correct partition for each OS, using Grub2 for the Linux installs.

Booting to Windows and Ubuntu work fine. The problem is that when I attempt to boot into Debian, it instead boots into Ubuntu. I have created and re-created the entries and no matter what, when I choose Debian, I get booted into Ubuntu.

My guess is that AutoNeoGrub1.mbr (the Debian entry) is pointing to Ubuntu, but I can't be sure since I cannot edit the file.

Here is a display from View Settings in EasyBCD:

Windows Boot Manager
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {5e8af90f-8463-11e3-a251-005056c00008}
resumeobject {717b3d5f-1646-11dc-914d-a6b536f0d904}
displayorder {5e8af90f-8463-11e3-a251-005056c00008}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 10
resume No
displaybootmenu Yes
custom:45000001 1

Windows Boot Loader
identifier {5e8af90f-8463-11e3-a251-005056c00008}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows

Real-mode Boot Sector
identifier {5e8af910-8463-11e3-a251-005056c00008}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
description Ubuntu

Real-mode Boot Sector
identifier {5e8af911-8463-11e3-a251-005056c00008}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr
description Debian
No replies, so I checked further back in the forum and found similar questions/problems. A post from June 14th, 2012 "Wrong Partition Numbers for Linux Grub Entries" has three Linux entries all booting to the first Linux partition. As hgd states in his post:

"I wanted to create a separate option for each of the three Linux systems, but when I chose the Grub2 option, the automatically configured entry that I obtained booted only into the first Linux system. I thought that I should have at least been given the choice of which system to boot into."

Is this a know problem with EasyBCD?
I currently have the boot process working with the Grub2 menu, but it is a pain to manipulate. I was hoping that EasyBCD would give me a simple way to set up a boot menu. Guess I will just stick with Grub.
Misunderstanding : you must create a uefi partition (uefi-boot = 200 Mo) before installing Ubuntu (i suppose it is a 12.04 and up).
i can help you.

About debian, i have posted a threads on the same subjects yesterday !
Debian (yours) :
Is it with uefi or grub ( grub2 ? )?
Have you the choice on Metro ?
Have you installed it from DVD-Debian or from an .Iso burned ?

Mine is a Dvd-Debian 7 from a linux-magazine - uefi -

Installing Debian is automatic and you do not need a boot-uefi partition but you can do it or choose the partitions.

So ? it is grub (easyBcd) or the partitions which are in a wrong place or bad installed ...

I , i think it is first about your partitions and the choices of boot - grub or uefi -.
Last edited:
I don't think anything I did with my partitioning/installation was incorrect. I can boot to any of the three operating systems using grub2. The only reason I was trying to use EasyBCD was to simplify the process, and to make a cleaner boot menu. I am not going to re-partition and re-install. It not worth the bother.

1° it is not about your incorrect/correct partioning/installation ...
2° you do not need easy bcd to simplify the process ...
3° you are not going to reinstall ...

It is only the advices of ubuntu-team and debian-team according to your bios, your Windows, and the version of ubuntu / Debian.

You do not need easybcd for dual-booting ubuntu / debian : automatic choices are yet done
i let a link (my precedent post) but it is 12.04 ubuntu (with pictures) for a cleaner boot menu with easybcd.
About debian , i have (so am i ) a real problem (my precedent post) with Windows 8.

I said only - my personal opinion - that it can be a problem first with the O.S linux and second (maybe ) with easybcd.
Manipulate easybcd without understand that you are doing could damage your computer.

It is up to you ...