EasyBCD cannot boot to Leopard on an IDE drive

itsalok4u

I have 320gb IDE drive with two HFS+ partitions. On the first partition Leopard is installed. I can boot to Leopard fine, if I select Leopard IDE drive from the BIOS boot menu. I have two another SATA drives. On the first 150gb SATA drive, I have Vista 64bit on which EasyBCD is installed. On the other SATA 1TB drive i have 3 partiotions one NTFS, One Ext3 on which Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy gibson is installed and the last one being Ext3 Swap.

I have added Ubuntu and OS X leopard entry to Vista bootloader using EasyBCD 1.7.1. I can boot to Vista and Linux fine with it. But somehow Vista bootloader cannot see the IDE Leopard installation. The error I am getting with the default nts_mac.MBR is "chain booting error" and when I replace nts_mac.MBR with tboot, I get "No HFS Partition found" error. I have read all the guides. But can not solve this problem. I am able to boot in to Leopard with BIOS just fine. Why can't Vista Bootloader see it? Does anybody have any suggestion? I am completely lost. Please help.

The installation media you used to install OS X installed the bootloader to the MBR, but not to the bootsector as well.

The installation media you used to install OS X installed the bootloader to the MBR, but not to the bootsector as well.

I verified that I have a correct bootloader on the bootsector ending with the hex value of "AA55". Bootsector is exactly similar to the hex contents of boot1h file from the installation DVD. Partition scheme is "Fdisk_Partition_Scheme" when viewed with "diskutil list" command. Also the partition is Primary active partition with correct type="AF". I just cannot understand what is wrong. Why will it give me chain booting error. I tried with boot.ini, xp ntldr and tboot also and it also can not load Darwin, giving me "No HFS partition found" error. Please help if you can.

This is a known error, and it has to do with the installation media you used.
I'm afraid we don't provide support for stuff we didn't write (the installation media) nor do we give details on how to install Leopard/Tiger on your generic x86 PC.

You can google and search at InsanelyMac, you will find that other people have the same issue - this is a BUG in the installation media, and there is no known "one click" guaranteed fix.

Back