EasyBCD changes don't stick

hitch

I've been having some issues. I have had windows XP, windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 running for a while. A couple of days ago I got an error with the win7 bootloader as described here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1271275

I initially fixed the problem with booting Windows 7 by using the win7 install disk repair function – it enabled me to boot into win7, but winxp was missing. I then installed EasyBCD and added a new entry for windowsXP. On next boot, I can boot into XP fine. However when I next reboot, I'm back at the start again with the same error with windows boot manager. It's like the changes made by EasyBCD don't stick for more than one boot. Any ideas how to fix this?

Hi Hitch, welcome to NST.
Please post a screenshot of disk management, and copy paste the output from EasyBCD "display settings" in debug mode, so we can see how things should work, and why they don't, hopefully.

Thanks for the follow up Terry - hopefully here's the information you asked for:

Display settings - overview:

There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)

Entry #1

Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Display settings - Detailed:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=D:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
default {e9e3bbc9-9a3c-11de-8cda-9cfc9b74e49a}
displayorder {e9e3bbc9-9a3c-11de-8cda-9cfc9b74e49a}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e9e3bbc9-9a3c-11de-8cda-9cfc9b74e49a}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
locale en-US
recoverysequence {e9e3bbca-9a3c-11de-8cda-9cfc9b74e49a}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {23ba43ec-99a6-11de-b79b-806e6f6e6963}

and I've attached disk management.

The disks are as follows:
disk 0:
1: winxp
2: win7
3: linux root
4: unallocated
5: extended containing
6: free space
7: linux boot partition
8:free space
9: free space

Disk2:
1: linux swap
2: general ntfs partition
3: unallocated
4: linux /home
5: unallocated.

let me know if you need any more info.

Attachments

• diskManagement.jpg
    diskManagement.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 7
Are you using EasyBCD 2.0 latest build ?
When you get a problem booting XP from Vista/W7 bootmgr, don't use an XP CD to repair the boot. It won't fix problems it will cause them. (it reverts the Vista/W7 MBR/PBR back to XP's versions (which cannot be made to boot Longhorn systems) and necessitates another repair of W7, creating an infinite repair loop)
Delete the XP entry from the BCD, add it again, and accept the offer to auto-configure the XP boot.

Are you using EasyBCD 2.0 latest build ?
When you get a problem booting XP from Vista/W7 bootmgr, don't use an XP CD to repair the boot. It won't fix problems it will cause them. (it reverts the Vista/W7 MBR/PBR back to XP's versions (which cannot be made to boot Longhorn systems) and necessitates another repair of W7, creating an infinite repair loop)
Delete the XP entry from the BCD, add it again, and accept the offer to auto-configure the XP boot.

Thanks for the reply Terry - I don't think I was using that. I'll reboot shortly and try with it and see if it fixes things. I haven't used the XP CD to repair, I was using the Win7 DVD. Will let you know how I go.

Addendum:

That worked like a charm. I think my problems are all sorted now. Thanks for your help Terry.

Last edited:
My XP warning was in response to your link to the other forum

"If I put in the Windows XP install disc to attempt the XP repair process, I get the standard:
"Windows is scanning your computers hardware..."
for a split second, but then the screen goes blank and gets nowhere. I've read that this is because for some reason it finds linux stuff on the drive and craps itself.
I managed to remove/hide the linux stuff, and the XP Install disc would then get further, but before it could get to the repair stage, it would BSOD, and show the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA.
So basically, in all avenues it appears to be stuffed. The windows XP discs have worked previously with no issues. What's going on here??"

Glad that everything's sorted now.

Back