EasyBCD does't fill in

hans50

I have XP on Drive "C" and WIN 7 on Drive "F".

After i changed (deleted and added) the entries and trying to add the XP, i recieved the following error:
"EasyBCD failed to detect a valid installation of Windows NT-2003 on all mounted drives and was unable to continue/EasyBCD failed to detect a valid version of Windows NT-2003 on the selected drive and was unable to continue."

This is a my setting at the moment:

There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default:
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Why it doesn't work and what shall i do now? It only boots directly to WIN 7 on "F".
Please give me some advice (I'm a Dutchman and a absolute Newbie....)
Thanks a lot in advance!

Does your XP use the name "Windows" or "WINNT" as its windows folder ?
If you've installed XP with an override to the folder name, EasyBCD cannot detect its presence.
In that case,
Rename the XP Windows folder to "Windows"
Add a BCD entry
Rename the folder as it was before
Use EasyBCD > Tools > Edit legacy entry to change "Windows" to "yourname" in both places (default and OS section)

The folders name is WINDOWS and XP is installed since 2003, i never changed it.
It worked already, after booting, i could choose for WIN7 or XP, the system opened Drive C or Drive F.
But unfortunately, i think, i deleted something in EasyBCD (it was OK by then) and since that time i cannot add XP on C anymore. Shame on me, i don't know what to do.....!

Addendum:

This is the boot edit:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Last edited:
Hello Terry60,

here's the screenshot, i hope zhis is the right one.....:
screenshot.PNG

Sorry, saw my mistake....!
(all my programms, incl Email etc, are still on XP (C) - that's the reason why....
Here's the screenshot as a attachment:

Attachments

• screenshot.PNG
    screenshot.PNG
    95.2 KB · Views: 9
Look at C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe properties
It should be 5.x file version.
That's the other thing checked for a valid XP installation.
If that's OK, I'll show you how to do this the old fashioned manual way, using EasyBCD 1.7, and we'll refer this to CG for investigation of why 2.0 isn't detecting your XP.
I take it from your 2 error messages in the OP that you tried both auto and non-auto when trying "add new entry" ?

Back