EasyBCD for Linux

Aquafire

My first post..

I like what the software does for Vista MBR.

But I am more inclined to dump Vista than to keep it.

In consequence. I am going over, more and more to Linux.

So what is the chance, you'll produce a EasyBCD that will work with Linux excusively? One that will make it really easy to install and arrange various Linux distros all on the same drive?

I imagine, that there will be an increasing demand for an easy way to load up multiple Linux OS's alongside OS X and OpenSolaris etc.

In fact other than the X86 arena, I can also a potential market for EASYBCD within OS X.

So is there a chance we'll see a Linux and Mac version of EasyBCD?

Cheers

Aquafire

^ hello aquafire! ^_^

idk about all that we have to wait for Computer Guru to post, but i think its a good idea, i being a dual-booter myself with linux and vista

maybe something could happen to have this happen

Well there is a problem with this. EasyBCD uses the BCD which is a Vista based bootloader.

So basically you want NeoGRUB. Since you wont have Vista installed to work with EasyBCD you will need more along the lines of NeoGRUB to control the GRUB entries and your multiple Linux OS's.

While i think it is a great idea since GRUB is tough to figuer out at times. I just dont knwo if it is all that possible. :grinning:

But i am sure CG will have something to say.

So what is the chance, you'll produce a EasyBCD that will work with Linux excusively? One that will make it really easy to install and arrange various Linux distros all on the same drive?

The honest answer: Close to none.

Theoretically? Wouldn't be a problem.

I can easily enough port EasyBCD to use GRUB instead of the BCD (stripping it of its last Vista dependency), and the rest of the code would remain pretty close to unchanged (except it'll probably automate finding and adding Linux partitions, since it has read access to Linux-only filesystems).

But that's not going to happen - support is already difficult enough, and it would be a real nightmare to have to offer two different versions of the same (more or less) product, one powered by GRUB and the other by BCD.

That, plus the fact that there wouldn't be as much market for EasyGRUB or whatever simply because people have gotten by without it for so long, is a huge turnoff.

Last of all, there's only so much a bootloader manager can do. EasyBCD 1.7 has just about covered 99.9% of all demanded features and everything imaginable under the sun; and the upcoming 2.0 will address the couple of small things it hasn't - I don't have the time to take on a second high-maintenance program like this (support for system utilities is greatly increased over other non-system software).

At the moment, I'm already working on two other upcoming projects, the first is Vista HnS, and the second is actually a different Linux program I feel will be more appreciated than a GUI to GRUB - it's a WYSIWYG blogging client for Linux users. Besides that, I've got a ton of other non-coding activities to worry about; leaving me in debt for time.

So, yeah, sorry; don't count on a Vista-free version of EasyBCD.

On the plus side, if you follow these instructions you can use EasyBCD on a Vista-free PC, but you'll still need to run it from within Windows 98+.

Thanks for your answer Computer Guru.

Obviously, your the guy ultimately in charge, so if you don't see the benefit of creating a Linux version, then that's simply the way it is..

Nevertheless, if I may offer my point of view.

I actually think the market for Linux is changing rapidly.

The very fact that Canonicals' Ubuntu is the Linux distro being considered by Dell as a mainstream alternative OS to Vista / XP speaks volumes. Furthermore, ASUS has just stitched up a deal with Xandros in relation to their new Asus Eee Pc Laptop. Increasingly, we are seeing computer manufacturers the world over, offering Linux alternatives for both servers and home/business computers.

Sure, Linux Geeks might not want to use your software, but by far, the bigger future market for Linux does not lie with them, but rather with ordinary family and small business users. And the thing is, we're seeing that evolution happening underneath our very noses. Much has changed since Redhat's 1996 (approx ) launch. So imagine where Linux will be in 5 or 10 years..?

Of course, I am not pretending to be a crystal ball reader, but my gut feeling is that your software would easily fill an important niche, that in turn rids Linux of one of it's more troublesome obstacles.

The second obstacle, is the one related to installing and deleting Linux software. Until someone comes up with a software package installer/ delete tool that works as nicely as your software, then there are going to be many 'would-be' Linux users, who will just sit on their hands..

That aside, from a market & financial perspective, I think your sitting on a potential Gold Mine.

In fact, like the olde Baseball movie... "Field of Dreams" I think it might be a case of...

"Build it and they will come".

Only, in this case, it will be the likes of Canonical, Redhat, Novell, Sun etc who might come with a fist full of dollars...

Respectfully.

Aquafire

Last edited:
I think the real answer is this:

But that's not going to happen - support is already difficult enough, and it would be a real nightmare to have to offer two different versions of the same (more or less) product, one powered by GRUB and the other by BCD.

As Guru said it is tough enough for himeself and me to do all teh support for just he windows version. Try and throw in the Linux version as well and you see we would be biting off more than we can chew.

Maybe after people start to grasp the fact that the Wiki has most of the answers and how to read and use it, then maybe this might become a consideration. But with 2 people, 1 who knows everything about the app and the other who is still trying to learn about the whole bootloader process (Me), it is tough to take care of everday business.

I understand your point of view. But being only 2 people trying to support the world right now is not easy. With the success of EasyBCD it makes it tough to move forward on to other platforms till we can get some more help. :wink:

I appreciate trying to change the world...hehehe.

But such is the stuff of dreams..

That's how America started...if I am not mistaken.

And yes, I am part of a Linux distro learing to build packages..

( I run Mac, Linux & Windows machines all at the same time..)

Maybe Linux users, (being the volunteers that they are), might lend you guys a hand.

Anyway, I like your EASYBCD software enough to chip in $20.

It's the least I can do..

Cheers..

Aquafire

Last edited:
It is always appreciated to get the help and support of a community such as the Linux Community. But i am sure that most people in the Linux Community would be scared and possibly threatened by EasyBCD for Linux. They are so used to GRUB that they would be scared to change. Just as many Windows users are scared of Vista and the BCD.

I am sure that the Linux Community would get behind EasyBCD for Linux after a while. But again the support would still fall back on Guru. Being the developer. The Linux Community could chip in as well. But i think they are so used to GRUB that they would just revert back to it in times of need.

Who knows what the future holds. Only time will tell. I am only going by what Guru said of this project above. I dont honestly know how he feels. He may feel inclined to do it. but after he gets all his current projects done. Only he knows at this time.

Well I am 54.

And I have embraced technology all my Life.

For me, I have come to understand two things.

1. No-one can stop the tide.

2. Change is inevitable.

Maybe that's what makes us Aussies so pioneering...

Cheers

Aquafire (from Down-Under)

I am 30 and i have been using PC's for over half my life. So i understand the whole change bit. But society in general is scared of change. I know you have experienced this in your lifetime. People are just scared of the unknown. Which this would be.

Also the issue i see is the fact that Linux is not universal. Each Distro uses it own version of GRUB, LILO or whatever which makes it even tougher to create this. Since you have to know which loader each uses. Being new to Linux i couldnt tell you what any of them are or what they do. I only know GRUB cause it installed with my Ubuntu. Been a Window sguy all my life. Just now changing. 15+ years later.

But like i said. It could happen. Guru does have a lot on his plate. EasyBCD 2, Vista HnS among a couple other projects that are going on. Trying to find time to code those along with doing support for what he has out. Really isnt much time left right now to take on this project.

I think that after he gets a coupel more projects done he will reconsider. But again i am a outsider looking in.

Thanks for the interest and all.

You're a 100% correct when you say that no one knows for sure what the future holds.
I certainly will keep an open mind to this idea; you have definitely piqued my interest, and I have since given this a lot of thought.

The beauty of code is that not even the sky is the limit. There's an elegant solution to everything - you just have to find it.

That said, I have this crazy idea in my head that could either a) be the result of another all-nighter studying for today's exam or b) the solution to this.

As Mak said, the biggest problem is with the support. People who've been with us from the beginning will notice that the rate of new releases is inversely related to the amount of support questions being asked - I've seen plenty of other source projects where too much attention was given to the code and too little to the people who needed help using it which ended with them falling apart short months later, despite being pretty brilliant work; so I'm trying not to make the same mistake.

Every person that sticks around after getting the answers they need is a starting place, because the measuring stick of success for free software is the size and quality of the community, then the code. So a big thanks to each and every one of you who answers even a single question or shares even a suggestion. And more so for those of you that are weathering it through more than that! :smile:

At any rate, today is my last exam for now. I'll probably try to release a first build of Vista HnS before the end of the weekend (some family business to attend to though). Then I'm going to just sit down for a couple of hours and see if anything will come out of this crazy idea I have going on in my head.

Well Computer Guru,

I like that your keeping an open mind to the idea.

I can't ask for more.

As a retired teacher, I can say, that that is the attitude that makes for the most success.

Regardless of whether you take up that particular challenge, your software deserves recognition and accolades a plenty.

Well done for being a visionary...

Now, an open invitation..

If you want to drop by Granular Linux..feel free.

Granular | The home of Granular Linux

( I work as a Mod there )

And yes, I have highlighted your work there too..

Aquafire

PS

Good luck with your exams...

Back