EasyBCD Help with Booting Windows 8.1 & Windows 7 on saperate HDD

Hi Terry

I wanted to know something with EasyBCD. I think i need to switch SATA from where its pluged in to. But if i do this wont i mess up the Boot priority. How do i do this with out messing everything up

Thank U

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you want to do.
Are you talking about switching which SATA channel each SSD is connected to ?

Are you talking about switching which SATA channel each SSD is connected to ?
yes. If i Switch SATA connections for HDD on the Motherboard from SATA 2.0 to slot SATA 3.0.

Because right now i have 1 in SATA 2 and 1 in SATA 3.0. and wanted to change so there both in SATA 3.0 because i get a giltch on boot up with windows 8 and wanted to know if that was why .

As long as you make sure that the W8 SSD is at the top of the boot priority in the BIOS, it shouldn't cause any problem.
What W8 glitch are you experiencing ?
If you mean that switching from W8 to W7 causes the PC to cold reboot, that's a consequence of the W8 "fast boot".
W8 doesn't really shut down or boot when you tell it to.
It enters a secret hibernation state and then resumes. That's how it manages to pretend it's booting really quickly, by not booting at all.
If you call its bluff by telling the W8 (pretend) "boot" that you want W7 instead, it has to really shut down W8 and then really boot again so that the hibernation state can be closed and a cold start of W7 commenced.
W8 fast boot doesn't work very well in a dual-boot, and can cause problems which cause chkdsk to be invoked when you switch between OSs because the secret hibernation leaves partitions marked "in use". That in turn can cause a hard reboot to assume that an improper shutdown occurred which it then proceeds to attempt to repair, taking quite a long time.
It's probably better to turn off the W8 fast boot unless you almost never use W7.
Go into Power options, select the "what to do when the power button is pressed", then the option to show the hidden extras, then untick "fast boot"

Thank u Terry for helping me i really learn a lot from u Here. That's i think is the issue "fast Boot" And why i was expercing slow times and may be the cause of the glitch i have seen.Also just now it did do a CHKDSK Scan and have been seeing that before in dual boot. I was not aware of that issue thanks for letting me know that. Funny how Windows 8 BUG are still there and nobody from Microsoft is coming out with a update or fix. I will do exactly what u said above and turn it off

Thanks for All your help

It's not a bug, and on a dedicated W8 PC it's fairly safe.
The problem lies in the fact that they're not completely open about how they achieve fast "boot" times, so unless you're keeping up with their technical publications
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx
which I imagine is < 1% of W8 users, you won't be aware that your PC isn't actually doing what you think you're telling it to do.
Their marketing people would rather have a user population that's happily ignorant of what's going on under the hood.
For multi-booters though, it's a liability and best turned off, so that the system does exactly what you tell it to, and at the time you tell it.

Back