EasyBCD installing PC_EFI, where does it go?

dale1v

I'm having a bit of an issue concerning EasyBCD and PC_EFI9. I'll try to explain it as best I can

My computer is set up as follows:

A (DIsk 0) 1TB Drive with a small system reserved partition where the bootloader is installed, and Windows 7

on my second, 250GB GUID hard disk, I have an EFI partition (unable to access, disk1s1), a partition for Leopard (disk1s2) and a partition for Snow Leopard (disk1s3)

By default, the 1Tb drive with Windows 7 is the first drive, therefore when I boot my PC I am met with the Vista/7 Bootloader. As normal, to boot into OS X, I go down and pick the Neogrub BCD entry, wait for that to load type 81 to boot the second disk, and then I can see the chameleon bootloader and therefore I can load OSX10.5, but not snow leopard. this is fine, PCI_EFI9 needs to be patched in order to boot Snow Leopard.

If i set the 250GB drive to be first, and the 1TB drive second, I am met with the PC_EFI9 chameleon bootloader that I installed to the Leopard partition (disk1s2) and patched and can therefore boot into Snow Leopard.

The problem is:

booting from windows drive to Windows Bootloader -> Neogrub -> BCD's pure install of Chameleon/PC_EFI9 (to I don't know where) = No Snow Leopard boot

Booting from second drive -> my patched Chameleon/PC_EFI9 (disk1s2) = Snow Leopard boot

Am I right in thinking that EasyBCD installs a different copy of PC_EFI9, and not to the Leopard partition?

If so, to where exactly? i'd like to patch it so that I don't have to go into BIOS to switch drives every time i want to boot Snow Leopard.

I'm not asking about the hackintoshing, I'm aware that it can't be discussed, I'd just like to know where EasyBCD installs PC_EFI9 on my computer.

Thanks for reading! :smile:

Last edited:
Hello Dale, welcome to NST

Computer Guru is collaborating with the OS X community to arm EasyBCD better to support booting OS X. At the moment its hit or miss. In the meantime, you can try re-adding an entry for it with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta latest build, as new features and support are being added come each new build posted.

Hi Dale, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies and thanks for understanding our rules involving OS X installation and hackery.

What method do you use for patching the drive number?

Hi Dale, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies and thanks for understanding our rules involving OS X installation and hackery.

What method do you use for patching the drive number?

Hi- I don't think I explained properly- I don't patch the drive number:

typically the chameleon/PC_EFI9 bootloader is composed of a few files, one of which is named "boot" that sits in the root of the Leopard drive. The stock version of this "boot" file cannot boot Snow Leopard for whatever reason, so I need to replace it with a pre-patched copy of "boot" that I have. At the moment I have this patched file in the root of the Leopard drive and therefore leopard boots- when the leopard drive takes first place in the bios settings.

If my windows drive takes first place in the bios settings, Snow Leopard will not boot- this leads me to believe that there is another copy of PC_EFI9 sitting somewhere that hasn't been patched. I want to patch that copy

One partition on my Leopard drive that I haven't (cannot) check is the one named "EFI" Is it there? Again I'm not concerned about the hackintosh installs directly, just the mystery location of EasyBCD's installation of chameleon .
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Last edited:
Back