EasyBCD Interfering with Windows 10 Upgrade?

muencht

I am trying to update a HP Pavilion desktop (Hpdsk) running Win7 Home Premium to Win10. I have already upgraded two other machines: an old HP laptop (Win7) and a newer Dell laptop (Win8.1). Both updated w/o problem.

The first time I tried to upgrade Hpdsk I ended up in Boot Manager with 4 options including "openSUSE 12.1" (I forgot it was dual boot)(I used EasyBCD years ago to setup the dual boot). Whenever this happens, I must choose "Windows Setup" and the machine reverts back to Win7.

No problem I thought, I will revert back to single boot config. Of course I used EasyBCD for this; the machine now shows a single option in Boot Manager: Windows 7.

http://superuser.com/questions/1093055/upgrade-to-windows-10-fails-on-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-machine
^take a look at this link -- uses EasyBCD and it worked

I then tried the Win10 upgrade again -- with the same results except Boot Manager of course did not show openSUSE: Windows 10, Windows Setup, Windows 7.

I have no idea what is happening but I do not want to dual boot Win7+Win10; this is supposed to be an UPGRADE.

My suspicion is that the Win10 Upgrade is seeing a non-standard Microsoft boot configuration. I believe EasyBCD "does its own thing" with the BCD ... and does it better than Microsoft ... but MS will not like it.

How can I get back to a MS standard boot-configuration?

Any help will be appreciated.

EasyBCD is just a tool to help you manage the BCD contents without having to resort to the MS bcdedit command-line utility.
Everything it puts it the BCD is absolutely "standard" for BCD contents and would loook identical if you used bcdedit to do it.
It manages "foreign" and legacy OSs by creating new files or copies of others outside of the BCD.
Nothing EasyBCD does will affect your ability to upgrade.
I upgraded an EasyBCD configured W8.1 to W10 without problem.
Did you create a new partition for W10 ? Nothing in your post suggests you did, but a dual-boot cannot exist unless two OS partitions are present on your HDD.
If you see a single partition (and a Windows.old file inside it), I would guess that the boot option is MS's way of letting you revert, if you choose to, though I don't remember it doing that when I upgraded a year ago. It's possible I suppose that they've added that feature since, but others must say whether they've seen it.

Did you create a new partition for W10 ? Nothing in your post suggests you did, but a dual-boot cannot exist unless two OS partitions are present on your HDD.
/QUOTE]

No I did not create a separate partition for Win10 because I DO NOT want to dual boot Win10+Win7. I want to UPGRADE Win7 to Win10.

You hit on the problem!the Win10 Installer is seeing my openSUSE 12.1 partition and is assuming the other partition is Win7 and I want to dual boot. If you look at my original posting, I was dual booting Win7 + Linux. I used EasyBCD to remove Linux from the boot config, thinking this would solve my problem. But now you see my dilemma: how do I get the Win10 Installer to do what I want ... ignore the Linux partition and upgrade Win7 in place?? any ideas? or am I going to have to lose my Linux?

Thank you!

Try removing the disk letter for the Linux partition from W7 in Disk Management if you think that's causing a problem.
I don't see that it would though.
My SSD had W7 and W8.1, both booted via W8.1's BCD, and I upgraded W8.1 to 10 without the upgrade being at all confused by the presence of W7 in another partition.
Did the upgrade process actually run to completion ?
Did it give you some kind of error message ?
I'm not quite sure whether you're saying you've upgraded and didn't end up with W10 available, or did end up with W10 but a confusing boot menu.
Are you able to run W10 ?
If so does it have your user options and apps from W7 present ?
Does it have a Windows.old folder ?

>Try removing the disk letter for the Linux partition from W7 in Disk Management if you think that's causing a problem. I don't see that it would though.
my three Linux partitions (LinSwap + 2 data) do not have drive letters

>My SSD had W7 and W8.1, both booted via W8.1's BCD, and I upgraded W8.1 to 10 without the upgrade being at all confused by the presence of W7 in another partition.
yeah, tell me about it! I can't find any one who had my problem

>Did the upgrade process actually run to completion ?
yes

>Did it give you some kind of error message ?
no error; went to Windows Boot Manager with three options
dual boot + setup

>I'm not quite sure whether you're saying you've upgraded and didn't end up with W10 available, or did end up with W10 but a confusing boot menu.
again I don't want to dual boot W10+W7 and yes a confusing boot menu
Windows 10 (have not tried
Windows Setup (default reverts back to W7
Windows 7 (have not tried

>Are you able to run W10?
again have not tried; don't want to lose W7

>If so does it have your user options and apps from W7 present ?

n/a see above; my W7 is intact thankfully

>Does it have a Windows.old folder ?
n/a see above
W7 does not have Windows.old which tells me no upgrade

------------
if things are not confusing enough: I used EasyBCD to restore my openSUSE 12.1 boot entry

device partition=D:
path \NST\nst_linux.mbr (file D:\NST\nst_linux.mbr is there

when I try to boot selecting openSUSE 12.1
... says "Loading Windows ..."
... end up in HP Recovery Manager

I won't go into the details but DMDE (a great tool) shows three Linux partitions
... when I look in the two data partitions I see the Linux file structure

so I know Linux is still there!

------------
NOW the question becomes: how can I get the W10 Installer to ignore the Linux partitions and UPGRADE W7 in place?
as far as I know there is no way to do this.

It appears I must delete the Linux partitions ... no big loss because I can't boot it anyhow
... don't know if I can recover my Linux installation

AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Try the W10 boot option.
You can't do any damage by booting it.
Then check the last three lines of my previous post.

Terry60 --

Even though I am not going to take your last suggestion (I do *not* want to dual boot W7+W10) I want to thank you again for "pointing me" in the right direction. You helped me realize what was going on the three time I got the funky WBM

• Windows 10
  • Windows Setup
  • Windows 7
The W10 Installer -- without asking me -- took it on itself to install W10 in the two Linux partitions of approx 110GB. Thank you very much Micro$oft. W7 must have still existed, because I was able to revert back to it 3 times.

What I am doing instead so I end up with *only* W10
1. download and run Media Creation Tool which creates ISO
2. burn the ISO to DVD
3. delete the two Linux partitions and return space to the main (W7) partition
4. install W10 from the DVD; it can now only upgrade W7 => W10 !!!

Note: I could not boot my Linux anyhow; I found the Windows Installer overwrites the Linux boot block or some such.

THANKS AGAIN!

p.s. I hope this helps anyone else who ended w/ mysterious Boot Mgr Option "Windows Setup"

Back