Easybcd menu turned into windows 7 e.g legacy menu

rolle880

So I have this boot menu system that turned into legacy boot menu system instead of the modern menu Gui. So how do I set this to default using the gui menu instead of the black colored legacy menu. So the appearence the menu should have with all settings in original. And this problem could be caused by a broken starting leader.

But please answer as close to the question as you can. All I want to know is how to set the standard blue menu back again. So it looks like windows 10 advanced startup instead of windows 7 traditional menu.

Have you made W7 the default ?
That will cause bootmg to use its command line menu onstead of the GUI.
If not you should be able to get the GUI back by ticking the "Metro" box in EasyBCD (that's what the GUI was originally called before copyright litigation caused MS to abandon the name)

@Terry60 do you think we should consider different wording for that checkbox/option in the next EasyBCD release? When that feature first shipped, "Metro" was all the rage with Windows 8 and everyone geeky enough to be multibooting knew what it meant (at the time) but I've been seeing a lot of users that don't deduce its meaning. Any suggestions?

Yeah I have probably put the w7 as the default. But how can I restore to put the GUI menu to default. All I want to know is how to put the settings back and where I can make the GUI to default. So I cant change this just by clicking the metro bootloader.

@Rolle
If you have made W7 the default boot choice while W8/8.1/10/11 is controlling the boot, there's no way I know to use the GUI boot menu.
It seems to be a quirk of bootmgr. From what I recall, there's no simple fork point in the bootmgr code at which a GUI/legacy choice is made, but Mqudsi (EasyBCD's author) would know better than I.
I think it's a consequence of decision paths in multiple routines all conspiring together, from distant memory of discussion on the point decades ago when it was first an issue.
It's not something that bothers me though. I was stuck with the legacy boot for the above reason for all the years up to W7 became unsupported, because I chose to continue with W7 for the WMC which was deprecated in W10. For security reasons, I now use W10 with Kodi as a WMC substitute so I could tick the metro box and turn the GUI on (indeed I did for a day or two, but I chose to revert to the legacy boot menu because I think it works better in my setup)

@mqudsi
I think you're probably right. Too many people now have never heard of Metro, so "GUI boot menu" would probably serve the pupose better.

GUI boot is frowned upon for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is much slower for multibooters. As Terry was hinting at, the "GUI bootloader" is actually a façade - the bootloader itself is tiny and barebones without the capacity to do much more than show a text-based boot menu. To facilitate a GUI boot menu, the OS actually (partially) boots into the default boot target but before the visual part of Windows starts (higher-level drivers, shell, etc) and the login process starts, it has Windows instead display a menu with the boot options.

If you choose the default boot option (the OS that was already partially loaded), Windows continues booting on its merry way. But if you change the selection, the PC actually reboots into the chosen OS (skipping the bootloader so it looks like it went straight into it), causing it to throw away the time it spent partially loading the first choice.

My memory is hazy on all the details (I can't believe it was 10 years ago almost to the day since Windows 8 was officially released!) but I'm pretty sure that Windows 8 was the first to ship with metro bootloader support (hence the "metro" in the name, as Windows 8 was the first version of Windows to introduce that horrendous desktop UI paradigm) - it's simply not a part of Windows 7. The above description of how the GUI bootloader works should explain why as Terry said (though, in total honesty, I had completely forgotten) the GUI bootloader option doesn't work with Windows 7 as the default choice.

GUI boot is frowned upon for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is much slower for multibooters. As Terry was hinting at, the "GUI bootloader" is actually a façade - the bootloader itself is tiny and barebones without the capacity to do much more than show a text-based boot menu. To facilitate a GUI boot menu, the OS actually (partially) boots into the default boot target but before the visual part of Windows starts (higher-level drivers, shell, etc) and the login process starts, it has Windows instead display a menu with the boot options.

If you choose the default boot option (the OS that was already partially loaded), Windows continues booting on its merry way. But if you change the selection, the PC actually reboots into the chosen OS (skipping the bootloader so it looks like it went straight into it), causing it to throw away the time it spent partially loading the first choice.

My memory is hazy on all the details (I can't believe it was 10 years ago almost to the day since Windows 8 was officially released!) but I'm pretty sure that Windows 8 was the first to ship with metro bootloader support (hence the "metro" in the name, as Windows 8 was the first version of Windows to introduce that horrendous desktop UI paradigm) - it's simply not a part of Windows 7. The above description of how the GUI bootloader works should explain why as Terry said (though, in total honesty, I had completely forgotten) the GUI bootloader option doesn't work with Windows 7 as the default choice.
Excellent history lesson for me. Thank you!

Back