easybcd step by step instructions

dennyj_1

hi all. I'm by no means a newbie, but using easybcd to set up a couple of problem h/ds is proving to be baffling. short version of story: borrowed a h/d from a friend because both of personal h/ds were suddenly giving me the 'no bootmgr' message after re-installing windows 7. I've run easybcd at least 1/2 a dozen times but every time i try to boot my h/ds I get a boot log error message. would someone be kind enough to e-mail me a clear step by step for easybcd so I can actually get my 2 h/ds to boot up? I will be forever in your debt! Or at least for a couple of minutes anyway...
Merry Christmas all. Denny J

If you've installed W7 and got "missing bootmgr", it's probably because you've set the wrong partition "active".
Unless you take decisive moves to prevent it, W7 will install its boot files in a 100Mb unlettered partition, which it will name "System Reserved"
That needs to be set active for the MBR to be able find the next link in the boot chain.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

EasyBCD is not an active part of the boot process, just an app used on a running system to help manage the BCD. You can't use it until at least one system in your multi-boot is working.

Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Last edited:
Hi Terry: Thanks for the quick response and a merry christmas to you. If you could tell me where to find the relevant boot menus, (i've looked in dos and neither the 'windows' boot entry nor the 'system32' boot entries have any operations I can edit or change), and how to change the the syntax on the problem drives to allow them to boot up on their own, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, DennyJ

The "live" BCD is in the \boot folder in the root of the "system" partition.
You won't see it (super hidden) except like this
Follow the instructions in the previous post's link to get one of your W7 HDDs booting. Only then can you use EasyBCD to make the other bootable from the same menu.

Thanks for all the help Terry. Problem solved. Hope all is well with you and yours, hope you had a great christmas, and have a great new year. :smile:DJ

Back