EasyBCD/System Restore file deletion problem

quakenut

Hi Everybody,

I'm using the NeoGrub bootloader w/the required configuration text pasted into the menu.lst file. In my Vista explorer window: Vista is loaded on Local Disk C: ; my second partition D: is undesirably hidden; 2nd hard drive is E:, and my XP drive X: is on a separate partition of the E: drive.

I'm still experiencing the deletion of my Vista system restore points. At the same time the D: partion of my C: drive is hidden from view.

This is what my NeoGrub configuration file reads:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

default 0
timeout 0

title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

# Optional section
# If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu!
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista
unhide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That seems to have done the trick. Many thanks. Any idea how my D: drive (2nd partition of my main drive with Vista on it) became unusable after installing XP on it's own separate partition on a secondary hard drive? I had to delete the volume of the former D: drive and re-allocate/format/assign drive letter all over again to make it usable. Was my install of XP the possible culprit? :wtf:

The neogrub hide command for hd0,1, hides the second partition on your 1st hard disk.
(Linux (grub) counts partitions from 0, Windows from 1)
That's why it hid D, when you needed it to hide C: (Vista)
If you'd used the optional entry, it would have unhidden it again and avoided all that starting over from scratch. (you could also have just flipped the hidden flag off again using gParted or similar)

I first came here and started my opening thread about those Neogrub instructions.

Welcome to the HnS community.

Ok. I misunderstood the instructions...should've set to hd0,0. The optional setting (unhide) was already at hd0,1, but I guess it was being overridden by the first (hide) hd0,1 setting?

Thanks.

They were a very strange set of instructions, giving you a second boot menu if you chose XP from the Vista bootmgr. In that second menu were
1 Boot XP having hidden Vista first
2 Boot XP having unhidden Vista again

Of course if you ever selected 2, you'd destroy the Vista restore points, completely negating the point of having 1.

(I'm in the process of getting that Blog article brought up to date btw)

In your case however, since you hadn't hidden Vista, but an innocent bystander; the use of option 2 would have unhidden your D drive again and avoided the lengths you actually went to.

Still that's all water under the bridge now, a fading (bad) memory, and the very reason why HnS was written in the first place.
It avoids having to know what numbers all the different OSs and the BIOS assign to your disks and partitions, and automates the entire dual boot for you, hides/unhides included.

Still that's all water under the bridge now, a fading (bad) memory, and the very reason why HnS was written in the first place. It avoids having to know what numbers all the different OSs and the BIOS assign to your disks and partitions, and automates the entire dual boot for you, hides/unhides included.

Yeah, HnS is workin' like a charm for me. Thanks again.

Back