EasyBCD + VMWare Fusion. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grardb

It's my first post, so I just wanna say EasyBCD is awesome!!!

Anyway...

I posted something similar at InsanelyMac, but it seems like nobody cares to reply...

I have a PC with Windows Vista installed, and OSx86 as well (LawlessPPC).

Here's my setup:

HDD 1 - 250GB - Vista
HDD 2 - 250GB - Vista
HDD 3 - 500GB - Mac (although not all of the 500gb is formatted)

I use EasyBCD to boot between the two. The boot screen appears like this:

Windows
NeoGRUB

When I hit NeoGRUB, I hit "Mac OS X" and get into Mac from there.

Here's the problem: I installed VMWare on my Mac partition, and it successfuly recognizes the Windows partition and loads the virtual machine, but instead of booting into Windows, I get the bootloader screen. From there, if I hit "Windows" or "NeoGRUB" I get the error "Windows failed to start, bla bla bla" and says "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt" (in my case, they're talking about winload.exe and NeoGrub.mbr).

Any idea what I can do to boot into Windows? I might try posting at the VMWare website (I just hope they're friendly with the OSx86 community lol).

Thanks,
Gerard

You cant boot to a VM Machine. You have to boot to the host OS first then boot the VM Machine.

I am saying that you can not go from the boot selector screen to a Virtual Machine. You first have to load the host OS first that you created teh Virtual Machine in load up VM ware and then run the VM. There is no way to have a boot option go right to a Virtual Machine without first loading the host OS.

I am saying that you can not go from the boot selector screen to a Virtual Machine. You first have to load the host OS first that you created teh Virtual Machine in load up VM ware and then run the VM. There is no way to have a boot option go right to a Virtual Machine without first loading the host OS.

That's not my goal :-\ What I'm saying is that when I have VMware open in Mac, I double-click "Boot Camp Partition" and instead of the Virtual Machine booting into Windows, it shows me my computer's bootloader, but it doesn't work.

So how is this EasyBCD related then? I dont get it....

Sounds to me more like a issue with the software than EasyBCD considering EasyBCD is jsut used to control the Vista bootloader.

I guess it is more a VMware issue, I was just wondering if there was any way to get EasyBCD to work in a virtual machine. I'll probably head over to the VMware site and ask them. Thanks anyway.

Your sure your Windows install is inside of a virtual machine? From your post stating that you use boot camp, I'm thinking Windows gets its own partition rather then being contained within a single file used by VMM's like VMWare. In this case, It is an actual system that must be ran on its own (OS X must be shutdown and the computer must be rebooted to load Windows). Windows on a Mac can be booted when using boot camp by holding down the option button as you are powering on the computer.

Last edited:
Your sure your Windows install is inside of a virtual machine? From your post stating that you use boot camp, I'm thinking Windows gets its own partition rather then being contained within a single file used by VMM's like VMWare. In this case, It is an actual system that must be ran on its own (OS X must be shutdown and the computer must be rebooted to load Windows). Windows on a Mac can be booted when using boot camp by holding down the option button as you are powering on the computer.

Technically I'm not using Boot Camp, because I don't have a Mac. I have a PC and installed Mac (hacked version). It works just like the real thing for the most part. Windows was installed first, and now I want to use VMware on the Mac partition to get into Windows since VMware recognizes it as a Boot Camp partition.

I am sorry but we can not help you. As stated by the developer in this topic:

OS X Dual-Boot Problems - The NeoSmart Forums

I quote:

EasyBCD allows users who originally purchased the Apple OS x86 developers' kit back when the Intel Macs first came out to use Vista and Mac on the same PC - totally legal.

EasyBCD doesn't help you get Mac, it doesn't help you install it, and it doesn't help you use it. It just makes it possible - should you happen to have Mac on your x86 through whatever means - configured in a dual-boot.

It's the same as any software for Macs that can be used on both legal and non-legit Mac installs - they're provided as services to the legal users, and not responsible for others abusing the products.

Stating that you have a hacked version makes it impossible for us to support you in any way becuase you have not gotten it thru the Developers kit which is the only form of OS X which we support. As stated in our documentation.

legitimate Dev Preview kit with the official OS X x86 DVD

That is the only version of OS X we will support. Sorry but you will have to find your answers elsewhere on teh web.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back