EasyBCD Won't Launch

RichardH

I recently purchased an EasyRE .iso file to try to repair a windows 8 computer. I downloaded the free version of EasyBCD (2.4.0.237) so I can burn this to a usb stick.

I installed it, but it won't start. It just displays the window to click <OK> or <Cancel>. Since this not for commercial use I click on <OK> and then nothing happens. It just closes and goes away.

Any suggestions? [note: I am running it as admin]

Just out of curiosity, I reinstalled and tried again with no success. So I tried the <Cancel> button and it takes me to the NeoSmart page where I can buy the software. I am not sure if this helps or not.

There's a simpler (also free) tool for creating bootable sticks

I will try Easy USB Creator. I wouldn't object to buying the EasyBCD software, but since it is also version 2.4 I am concerned that there is bug in this version that keeps it from starting. I would hate to pay for that.
Also, I am new to the forum but I posted this request here - not privately. Is your disclaimer just boilerplate messaging that accompanies all of your replies?

Tried Easy USB Creator and it does not launch either. I am trying to run this on a Windows 7 machine. I do NOT have a problem running any other small .exe files.

Try uninstalling, deleting the Neosmart folder from your .../Users/yourname /appdata/local/... then reinstalling.
The free version of EasyBCD is not "lite" or restricted in any way. It's exactly the same as the paid version but for home use only.
I have seen people report problems which look like it's trying to force them into buying, but I think that might be related to some quirk of the registration process. If you get new versions (as I do) by that download screen but ignore the "register" process completely, You should get a trouble free "free" version.
(my sig isn't aimed at you)

Here is the latest wrinkle: I uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled, and now find the issue is something else. So, I am now trying this on my Windows 10 laptop. Easy USB Creator does run on this machine. However, when I try to create the bootable usb I get an error message telling me it cannot use the usb drive -saying it is already in use. I deleted all files from the usb and then formatted it prior to doing this. it is empty. And, I am logged in as admin, so it should not be a permission issue. ???

Tried again while waiting ....
When I try this on a newly formatted (fat32) 29.8 gb USB stick I get an "Error creating bootable USB!" window stating:
"Unable to write boot code to drive, please check to make sure the drive isn't currently in use and try again."

I cannot make this work. I will Have to start over on the computer with a new copy of Windows,
Is there a possibility I can just gey my money back?

Back