EasyBCD won't rewrte the bootloader, thinks i'm using XP

I recently installed OSX on a partition, everything went fine except when I went to reboot I had no bootloader. I installed linux on another partition, wrote the mbr with lilo, and could then boot into Vista, OSX, and linux. But I would rather use EasyBCD with the Vista bootloader.

When I try to run EasyBCD though I get these error windows:

It seems that you're using Windows XP, and the Windows Vista BCD hasn't been properly installed. Would you like to configure it now?
(Click Yes)

Generic Warning message saying am I sure I want to do this, and that I have to be running Vista.
(Click Yes)

EasyBCD has rewritten your MBR. In order for the changes to take effect, EasyBCD will now close. Please restart EasyBCD at your convenience blah blah blah...
(Click ok)

Now this changes nothing, I can reboot, lilo is still there, try running EasyBCD, I have to go through everything again.

I've started up with a Vista install cd, gone into the the startup repair, and it errors out. I've ran the command prompt and run bootsect /nt60 ALL /force and it'll run with no errors. But lilo is still there.

Any help would be appreciated, apart from wiping everything and reinstalling Vista. (I'd rather figure out what the problem is and fix it as opposed to just hoping it doesn't happen again.)

Boot from the Vista DVD and select advanced options startup repair
select command prompt from the tools list, then type
Code:
fixboot
fixmbr
quit
and reboot....

That should revert the Vista bootloader :smile:

OK, will you be willing to beta-test EasyBCD 1.6? It uses a different Heuristics system to intelligently fix the bootloader.
Reply below and send me a PM if you are.

Back