easybcd won't show the location of vhd in a native boot OS boot menu entry

i have a win7 vhd native boot entry in my boot menu.

in easybcd, i can see that entry. But no destination vhd information is given by easybcd.

everytime i change the location of that vhd, i have to delete that boot menu entry and do the following command lines once again ...

bcdedit /copy {default} /d "vhd boot (locate)"

bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=[locate]\windows7.vhd bcdedit /set {guid} osdevice vhd=[locate]\windows7.vhd
bcdedit /set {guid} detecthal on .....

is this a shortcoming of easybcd?
will easybcd offer some gui frontend in this regard?

William
Hong Kong

EasyBCD does not have an option to change the location of a VHD. You should only need to create it w/ a custom location, then leave it alone thereafter... Why are you needing to keep changing the location?

EasyBCD does not have an option to change the location of a VHD. You should only need to create it w/ a custom location, then leave it alone thereafter... Why are you needing to keep changing the location?

no changing frequently
just happened to move the vhd to another partition specially created for permanent vhd storage recently
the version i use is 1.7
i download the new version 2.2
with 2.2's simply gui, i now can delete the original vhd-native-boot menu entry and create a new entry pointing to a new location of the vhd.

thankyou for your reply

William

Hi William,

As you can see, it's not an often-used feature. We try to avoid unused features in our program because more features means trying to cram them into the same space and leaving our users confused, hurt, and angry (ok, I may be exaggerating a little!) It also leads to more code and more code leads directly to more bugs.

I'm glad EasyBCD 2.2 makes things easier, 1.7 is *ancient*!

Back