EasyRE boots but finds no video driver

nozismart

I bought an Asus Zenbook Pro-17 (AMD Ryzen 6900, Win11, internal 1TB NVME) and an external USB-NVME case and an extra NVME SSD. Installed Linux on the extra SSD and both drives booted. I swapped the SSDs (Linux internal and Win11 to the external case) because I intend to use Linux most of the time, and run Win11 only when I absolutely must. Linux is happy to boot from either position, but Win11 complains 'inaccessible boot drive' when its drive is external.

I think the problem Win11 has is that its UEFI looks at disk 0 for Win11, which was correct when its drive was internal. So I'm looking for a way to change it to look at disk 1. I think i need to tell the Win boot loader to look at drive 1 (or drive D:smile: for the Win11 installation that is on osdrive C:. (BTW, am I correct in thinking that 'drive' is the physical drive and 'osdrive' is a filesystem in a partition on a physical drive? And, rhetorically, whyever did MS decide to use the same term to refer to two completely different things?)

Just DLed EasyBCD and copied it, of all things, a USB Rev drive I have. It boots (xBSD-amd64). But it doesn't find a usable graphics driver for the nVidia GA107 (GeForce RTX 3050), AMD's built-in GPU (that mayn't be connected to anything, or the HDMI-VGA adapter I plugged in. And it leaves the keyboard in an unusable state (built-in or USB; tried both).

Is there a way to get newer drivers for EasyBCD? Or is there an easy way to tweak the Win11 UEFI to look at the external drive? I'd rather avoid blindly bashing about if I can.

Thanks!

EasyBCD doesn't use drivers. EasyBCD is a .net application designed to allow you to tailor the Windows Boot Manager as you please.
If anything you should be checking for the latest drivers for all your hardware.

OK topic moved to the right section.
Assuming you have bought the disk for the OS you are using. No repair disks carry all the latest drivers. In my experience using Microsoft downloadable ISO’s they install the basic drivers only. After using EasyRE successfully download the latest driver from the graphics card maker and install it using the clean install option. That will switch you to the graphics card.

OK topic moved to the right section.
... After using EasyRE ...
Thanks for moving it!

The problem is that I can't use EasyRE because it (seems to be one of the BSD UNIXes) doesn't have the video driver for the nVidia GA107. Win11 does have the correct drivers.

Currently, UEFI is configured to use drive C: and osdrive C:. I need to know how to tell Win11 UEFI to look for the Win11 system on drive (osdrive, filesystem) C: of the second SSD (drive, physical) D: . I guess I'll just have to try setting 'drive' to D: (or to '1') and see what happens.

I don't know what GA107 is but the latest version of EasyRE is using the nvidia 470.94 release which has support for the GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU in specific (and the RTX 30 series of notebook GPUs and RTX 30 series of desktop GPUs in general).

EasyRE is due for an update of its nvidia drivers to support even newer cards like the 4090, but the current ones should support your GPU. As you're booting the console should log what drivers it's trying - what did yours say?

1) It seems to go through the boot process, mostly
2) It never gets to the grub menu
3) It tries nv, amdgpu, radeonkms, legacy ati, legacy vesa xorg
4) The kbd (built-in or USB) is pert near unusable ('asdf' is 'aoeu', 'qwer' is "',.p", '-=_+' is '[]{}'

I tried copying the ISO directly to the flash drive (making it look like a CD) and making a FAT32 FS on the unpartitioned drive then copying everything in the ISO to that FS.

OK. I give up. EasyRE just is not going to boot on my laptop. I finally got Easy USB Creator to make a bootable flash drive (for hours it would not see the thumb drive when plugged in; I finally wiped it out and let Win create everything). And the result is identical to my results before: BSD boots but cannot find a usable video driver for the GeForce RTX 3050 (Ampere architecture, GA107 GPU), and it puts the keyboard into a pseudo-random, unusable state.

And there is no way possible to adjust, twerk, modify Windows boot process to make it accept that its install drive has simply moved to another location on the exact same computer.

The thumb drive does boot under qemu. Instantly. Quickly showing the UI. So it works. Just not on my laptop.

So I'm going to shrink the Windows FS and partition, add a new partition, and install Linux there. And keep the 500GB NVME drive for some other purpose. The only reason I have Windows is that I sometimes have to run software that only runs on Windows. And I'll have no reason to run easybcd or bcdedit or any such programs.

Thanks for the attempted assistance!

I actually have a beta of the next EasyRE release with updated video drivers available, if you care to try it.

I bought an Asus Zenbook Pro-17 (AMD Ryzen 6900, Win11, internal 1TB NVME) and an external USB-NVME case and an extra NVME SSD. Installed Linux on the extra SSD and both drives booted. I swapped the SSDs (Linux internal and Win11 to the external case) because I intend to use Linux most of the time, and run Win11 only when I absolutely must. Linux is happy to boot from either position, but Win11 complains 'inaccessible boot drive' when its drive is external.

I think the problem Win11 has is that its UEFI looks at disk 0 for Win11, which was correct when its drive was internal. So I'm looking for a way to change it to look at disk 1. I think i need to tell the Win boot loader to look at drive 1 (or drive D:smile: for the Win11 installation that is on osdrive C:. (BTW, am I correct in thinking that 'drive' is the physical drive and 'osdrive' is a filesystem in a partition on a physical drive? And, rhetorically, whyever did MS decide to use the same term to refer to two completely different things?)

Just DLed EasyBCD and copied it, of all things, a USB Rev drive I have. It boots (xBSD-amd64). But it doesn't find a usable graphics driver for the nVidia GA107 (GeForce RTX 3050), AMD's built-in GPU (that mayn't be connected to anything, or the HDMI-VGA adapter I plugged in. And it leaves the keyboard in an unusable state (built-in or USB; tried both).

Is there a way to get newer drivers for EasyBCD? Or is there an easy way to tweak the Win11 UEFI to look at the external drive? I'd rather avoid blindly bashing about if I can.

Thanks! Power Warriors Mod APK Free Download for Android at Power Warriors 17.0 APK (Unlimited Money, Android Game) website. You can download this mod to any Android device you want completely free. The game for those who are fans of DragonBall that cannot be missed
Windows is designed to boot from the primary internal drive by default, so when you swap the drives and make the Windows 11 drive external, it may encounter issues. There are a few potential solutions you can try:

a. Change the boot order in your UEFI/BIOS settings: Enter your UEFI/BIOS settings and look for the boot order configuration. Ensure that the external drive is set as the first boot option.

b. Use EasyBCD to modify the boot configuration: Since you've mentioned using EasyBCD, you can try modifying the boot configuration to make Windows 11 recognize the external drive. Within EasyBCD, you should be able to add an entry for Windows 11 on the external drive and set it as the default boot option.
EasyBCD is primarily used for modifying the Windows bootloader and boot configuration, so it's not directly related to graphics drivers or keyboard functionality. It seems like the issue might lie elsewhere.

a. Graphics drivers: You'll need to ensure that you have the appropriate graphics drivers installed on your Windows 11 installation. You can try manually downloading and installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website (AMD and NVIDIA).

b. Keyboard issues: If the keyboard is not functioning properly after using EasyBCD, it's unlikely that EasyBCD itself is causing the problem. Make sure you have the necessary drivers installed for your keyboard, and check if any conflicting software or settings are affecting its functionality.

Thanks!
Windows is designed to boot from the primary internal drive by default, so when you swap the drives and make the Windows 11 drive external, it may encounter issues. There are a few potential solutions you can try:

a. Change the boot order in your UEFI/BIOS settings: Enter your UEFI/BIOS settings and look for the boot order configuration. Ensure that the external drive is set as the first boot option.

b. Use EasyBCD to modify the boot configuration: Since you've mentioned using EasyBCD, you can try modifying the boot configuration to make Windows 11 recognize the external drive. Within EasyBCD, you should be able to add an entry for Windows 11 on the external drive and set it as the default boot option.
EasyBCD is primarily used for modifying the Windows bootloader and boot configuration, so it's not directly related to graphics drivers or keyboard functionality. It seems like the issue might lie elsewhere.

a. Graphics drivers: You'll need to ensure that you have the appropriate graphics drivers installed on your Windows 11 installation. You can try manually downloading and installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website (AMD and NVIDIA).

b. Keyboard issues: If the keyboard is not functioning properly after using EasyBCD, it's unlikely that EasyBCD itself is causing the problem. Make sure you have the necessary drivers installed for your keyboard, and check if any conflicting software or settings are affecting its functionality.

Back