SRK

Hi

On the 8 July I downloaded . . . . ;

EasyRE for Windows 7.iso
EasyBCD 2.4.exe
Easy USB Creator Lite.exe
Active ISO Burner
ImgBurn

. . . . Because I am so desperate to get my machine up and running as it used to be.

But since then, I haven’t built up the courage to use EasyRE for Windows 7.iso because of

fear of losing the data.

I have read all that there is to read. But I still have doubts whether to run it because I found

conflicting sections on NeoSmart’s site.

I have been so confused and paranoid about this – as you’ll read if you venture below the line ====

In the end I was going to delete what I’ve written below ====, as its embarrassing – but after a nights

sleep I’ve decided to keep it, in case anyone wants an account of what’s happened and just in case I am
semi right with my fears of losing everything.

I could backup everything – but as you’ll read ==== there is one particular program that is really

important, that I could not reinstall again.

So in case nobody reads below the line – here are two simple questions that will hopefully someone will

answer to convince me. (I wish I had only asked these question in the first place!)

Q1 If I do not back up: Data - User Accounts – Programs and System Drivers, Videos

Will it all get deleted in the process of EasyRE for Windows 7.iso?

Q2 If there is a chance of data loss . . .

Would I be better off with a Repair Install?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Stephen

Below the =========== next

=====================================================================================================

Long Version

I want to apologise in advance for length of post. I’ve whittled it down as much as I could.

But I have an important question to ask – that I can only do after I’ve laid out the problems.

I've had this ASUS N73S machine with Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1 (SP1) for ten years.

At times its had its moments but overall it has never let me down until March 2019

when Windows updates didn't go well - I got it back up and running but then disaster
with Windows updates: Patch Tuesday 9 April 2019 - or Crash Wednesday as its also known!

It corrupted the registry plus in effect, it has impacted on every turn I’ve taken trying to

fix it since then.

At the moment I have a working machine that’s hanging on by a thread.

I use Sleep mode save rebooting.

But when I boot it’s from Safe Mode: Last Known Good Configuration.

But I would not have been at the point of restarting after the crash if it were not for the help of a forum.

So after the crash, when I couldn't get the old girl working I contacted www.sevenforums.com

A really helpful long-term member: SiW2 saved the day.

He advised to uninstall AVAST and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials – that I did.

He suggested that I use Regbak.zip - back up the registry, and post it to him.

SiW2 corrected the issues at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ControlSet002

then wrapped it up with WinZip.

After I had downloaded and then opened it, the registry “automatically updated itself.”
It worked so well, even informing me that the Registry had updated successfully.

He really saved the day.

So I thought great, all sorted.

But unfortunately it wasn’t.

I could now boot up okay, but when I did, that’s when all manner of problems started.

I used all the regular tools such as sfc /scannow that did finish and detected some corrupt files . . .
with message “unable to fix”

I tried all manner of ways to try and read the results, but everything I’ve tried will not print out the

results with the faulty files – such as;

C:\Windows\system32>
C:\Windows\system32>%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log | find /i "[SR]" >> C:\cbslog.txt
& notepad C:\cbslog.txt

Access is denied.

C:\Windows\system32>copy %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log c:\Temp Overwrite c:\Temp\CBS

.log? <Yes/No/All>: y

The system cannot find the path specified.

Strange that Windows 7 doesn’t seem to work (for me) to open CBS.log - but all those years ago with XP

and XP Pro I ran sfc /scannow often and with ‘whatever I used back then’ I was able to read the results.

In hindsight I should have gone back to SiW2 at 7 forums but he had helped so much I didn’t want to

push it – so I thought I’ll try and do it myself.

The more I delved in the mire . . . more problems came to the surface to try and fix.

I couldn’t have got this far without Google and reading what seemed the same individual problems

on regular well used forums – and then following the advice given to others.

Since April I haven’t been able to create a System Restore point. I have a good idea why I can’t,

the culprit is Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

I spent many weeks trying every permutation with many of the Dependencies of Services.msc.
I improved it somewhat, but it’s basically knackered.

While writing this for your forum, I have everything closed down apart from WORD, but every

20 seconds or so, the system freezes with Not Responding and often Ghosts out.
I just have to wait until it decides to continue.

I can't find what is causing Ghosting with Sysinternals Process Explorer, Windows Task Manager

or Resource Monitor.

I’ve read that the April crash effected those running anti-virus such as AVAST.

I’m running without any protection, because NOW if I reinstall AVAST or Microsoft Security Essentials

it is instant BSOD.

I also have the most strangest of problems. After I found I couldn’t use AVAST & MSE I tried

Avira free antivirus. What a mistake. So I deleted it through CCleaner.

I then checked and found traces of Avira all over. So I used RegEdit and deleted what I could find.

But I found it was still on the system. So I used Avira’s own clean up registry tool.

Not only did that Avira tool not clean up – I’m certain somehow it reinstalled itself.

So somehow Avira has taken control because a strange thing has happened with Services.msc

I’ve always used Black Viper to help set up services, so I know that when it comes to the

Log on tab – most every service runs under Local System Account - and NOT “This Account (NT??)”
with password.

So there are three Avira entries in Services and every time I try to disable them I receive Access Denied.

Here is the strangest of all – In Windows Explorer there are a number of Avira entries that must mean it

is still in the registry. But when I search RegEdit – there is No Trace. Go figure.

BUT . . . Sysinternals Process Explorer still shows one of the three Avira’s entries way up the top of the list.

oooO--- ---Oooo

Here is the awkward bit.

So I hope someone can confirm that my apprehension of running EasyRE are ill-founded.

Why? because I’ve read on NeoSmart’s site that I have to backup all of my Data.

My questions are about me being confused about the conflicting advice about a non-destructive repair.

I’ve included the links for the NeoSmart pages that for a dummy like me offer conflicting advice.

Just so you know – I only read what has become an issue for me, on Sunday just gone.

I did read quite a lot before I downloaded “EasyRE for Windows 7.iso” but I didn’t pick up on the fact

that it seems (that I might) have to backup all data.

That’s when it dawned on me that I’ve probably got a problem.

I’m sure it must just be me who doesn’t understand this page;

Asus Recovery Disk – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8

For the Record – I know I must come across as paranoid – guess what - I am!

I’m sure I sort of know the answer before I ask – but because of my situation I need an

expert to confirm what I think already – but I don’t want to go ahead without someone’s help.

I’m in to deep and spent nearly everyday since April trying to sort this machine out, that I’ve

managed to sort a lot out – but at this point I would like “EasyRE for Windows 7.iso”
to do the work for me – so I can get back on track dealing with the things I should be dealing with.

So the saga continues . . . .

Recover Windows 7 with the disk or the partition

Windows 7 users can use the recovery partition or the recovery DVD to recover an Asus computer.
If you no longer have the “RECOVERY” partition intact or the DVD,

go to Download alternative recovery disk for Asus.

Instructions when using the recovery partition:

All data will be lost during the recovery process. Backup your computer before you continue!

So I understand the above because it’s the partition BUT the attached link;
go to Download alternative recovery disk for Asus.

Is a direct link that makes me think that . . . .
All data will be lost during the recovery process, regardless of method.

Because there is no clear indication to differentiate that the ‘next link is one of the same’
i.e. hasn’t made clear that the next page IS NOT/DOES NOT wipe out Programs, Data and so on.
Makes me fear the worst.

I would really appreciate if someone could put my mind at rest “one way or the other”
YES it will wipe clean Software, etc ‘or’ NO you’re good to go IT WILL NOT wipe Programs etc.

Phew. Just my 2 cents worth. I’ll shut up about that particular point now!

oooO--- ---Oooo

Like most, I need to preserve my: Data - User Accounts – Programs and System Drivers, Videos, etc.

If I didn’t need to keep my data I could have used the recovery partition and the supplied
ASUS DVD: Drivers & Utilities – that says it only supports Windows 7 64 bit, that came
with 17.3 inch Notebook (N73SV) ten years ago.

The reason I brought EasyRE for Windows 7.iso was for the repair facilities AND because it
clearly stated on this page;

Windows 7 Recovery Disk and Repair Disc Download

Windows 7 Recovery Disk and Repair Disc Download

>>>>> Uses A Non-Destructive Repair Process <<<<<

Download recovery disk for Windows 7

Easy Recovery Essentials, our recovery and repair disk, uses a **non-destructive repair process**
that can recover your PC without formatting your hard drive or reinstalling Windows.

**non-destructive repair process**

Is it called ‘non-destructive repair process’ because NeoSmart
gives you the chance to back up all your data? (just a thought).

Okay, I get it – I know the above is telling me it will be okay – but if it’s alright with
you guys just to reassure me in writing. (I’m not normally like this).

Okay time to wrap this up.

I do apologise for all this, I really wouldn’t go to these lengths for an answer unless it wasn’t
important to me.

There is another reason why I’m so paranoid about the loss of data - the thought of having to
reinstall all the software gathered over 10 years and so on.

Because amongst so much stuff I have on this machine – I do have a special project that’s ongoing

that’s taken three years so far - linked to CAD software – brought second hand but still pricey,
that I cannot find the installation details/key for.

The project is not finished yet.

Sure I have back up’s of back up’s – but they are useless without the program.

Finally.

Repair Install

Windows 7 "Repair Install" without losing data

It must have been around 10 years ago I did two Repair Installations.

The first I think was XP Pro to Vista and definitely the other Vista to Windows 7 - on both computers,
all the stuff you want and need to keep . . . remained with no problems.

As my paranoia calms down – I presume that EasyRE is similar to a Repair Install?
Or I am wrong?

If anyone reached this point – many thanks for sticking with it.

I am sorry for all the above.

Any reassurance you can offer, is gratefully accepted.

Stephen

Back