[EBCD-416] Auto-configuration of Boot.ini fails on FAT32 boot partition

Can you view the properties of F:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe and see what it says under Details -> File Version?

Addendum:

Oh and please post the output of BootGrabber.exe /bootcfg

Last edited:
Sure,

File Version of ntoskrnl.exe is 5.1.2600.5913

Code:
C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>BootGrabber.exe /bootcfg

BootGrabber utility.
Copyright NeoSmart Technologies 2009-2010 <http://neosmart.net/>

Unable to get volume information for \\?\Volume{14304a83-aea6-11df-99aa-806e6f6e
6963}\
Unable to get volume information for \\?\Volume{8bc4b7b5-aec1-11df-9b47-000b6a8c
fee8}\
Unable to get volume information for \\?\Volume{21127c63-aebf-11df-9ee3-000b6a8c
fee8}\
 Located active partition on drive 0: \ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(
1)
 Drive 0, Partition 1: No Windows installation found.
 Drive 0, Partition 2: Windows Vista+ (Ignored).
 Drive 0, Partition 3: Valid Windows 2k/XP/2k3 (Added).
Failed to create file to \ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Boot.ini.
Error code: 0xc0000022.

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>

That error means access denied - which is weird since EasyBCD's Power Console is an elevated privilege command line.

Is UAC disabled? If it is and you're not logged on as an Administrator you'll need to do so. Check ntoskrnl.exe > Properties > Security tab. Do the Administrator's group have full control over the file? Its not compressed is it?

Justin, the problem isn't with accessing ntoskrnl.exe but with creating a boot.ini file on D:\ :S

I never did test the creation of boot.ini on FAT32, perhaps that has something to do with it.....

Uhmm, first of all all of my drives are NTFS. Only one that's not which is FAT32 and that's on D\: which shows on partition wizard RECOVERY and active & boot. Should I change that to NTFS?

BootGrabber doesn't need to write to the Windows XP partition, only the FAT32 one which is the boot drive (D:\)

Can you try to convert it and see if that fixes the problem?

EasyBCD | Useful Utilities | Power Console
Code:
convert.exe D: /fs:ntfs

WARNING

After doing that, make sure to go to EasyBCD and re-write the MBR with the Windows Vista/7 Bootloader, because I don't know if it'll be preserved after converting to NTFS! Do this before rebooting!

Did exactly what you said except without using that command because it did'nt work and I had to find another way to convert over to NTFS and I just did it with Partition Wizard. Worked successfully! I'm now dual-booting 7U and XP Pro. Thanks for all of your help and support guys!

Cheers!

Hey Hoss212, that's great news.

So it would seem that there's a bug in EasyBCD that doesn't properly write BOOT.INI to FAT32 partitions then. Something I'll have to look into for sure!

Addendum:

Moved to BugCentral

Last edited:
Back