edit entries in boot menu

marcus25

Hi,
I have no problem with my triple booting PC, with the Vista boot menu, all I want to do is to change the descriptions of the entries and remove the unused ones.

the default OS is Vista 64,
----------------------------------------
The menu items are as :
Microsoft Windows Vista (this is 64 bit)
Earlier version of Windows which has two entries:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP 64, (which no longer exists)
Microsoft Windows XP (working)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista (no longer valid)
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista (32 bit valid)

I would like the descriptions changed to reflect the 64 bit and 32 bit versions and get rid of the no longer valid entries.

Tried to edit the XP entry but it said the file is read only, so I couldn't, can't find the boot.ini file on the XP HD.

I think I can delete entries in EasyBCD, but I could not edit.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark:smile:

I think I can delete entries in EasyBCD, but I could not edit.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark:smile:

Try going to the "Add/Remove Entries", and you should be able to remove the unwanted entries there! :wink: Of course then again...you might also need to edit your boot.ini, if its messed up. So please post your boot.ini, which is located at (providing of course you copied it over into Vista from XP!) "C:/boot" in Vista.

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
EasyBCD can be used to change the descriptions of your entries. Just pick the one you want to edit under Add/Remove entries to do so.

EasyBCD can be used to change the descriptions of your entries. Just pick the one you want to edit under Add/Remove entries to do so.

I can add a new entry but can't edit the existing one.

Do you mean to add a new entry, with the same type of OS and HD location as the existing, and then delete the one I tried to edit?
Somehow it makes no sense to me, there is no edit button under the "Add/Remove entries"

Sorry, wrong page. Look at Configuring the bootloader in our wiki for a screenshot. The name textbox when you select the entry you want to edit is what you would modify.

Many thanks kairozamorro, although my version has different buttons I found the one you meant, and it worked a treat!

I edited the win XP boot entry when I booted into XP and deleted the redundant XP64 entry.
I have more OSs working on my PC but they installed in Virtual PC.
These three I keep as an insurance, and also because some drivers are missing in 64 bit.
Thanks again.
Mark

Back