EFI/UEFI Mode

FormableEmu6011

I have been trying to install other non-Windows operating systems on my PC, and I have gone through the BIOS several times to turn on Legacy Boot (which also turns off Secure Boot), and I still get the error that my PC is running in EFI/UEFI mode. This started happening recently, because I had used it once before to rename the bootloader entries, and I didn't get that error. However, now I get the error regardless of if my PC is running in UEFI mode or not. I don't know if anyone else has had this issue or if something like this has been posted in the forums (there were about 270 pages of forum entries so I wasn't going to go through all of them), so if anyone could provide me with some help, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know virtual machines are an option as well, but my PC only has 4GB of memory and for my current use, 8GB (which is the maximum my motherboard allows) wouldn't be necessary. I prefer running operating systems directly off the hard drive and use the hardware I currently have rather than using a virtual machine.

Last edited:
If your OS was originally installed in GPT/UEFI mode, you can't just change the mode to MBR/BIOS.
You'd need to reinstall Windows in that mode.
If you want to run Linux on a UEFI Windows PC, the short answer is you can't do it via MS bootmgr.
MS has prevented that posibility and nothing (including EasyBCD) is capable of circumventing that hard prohibition.
You can however install Linux allowing it to take control of the boot process, so that grub boots your UEFI PC.
It will quite happily chain MS bootmgr to boot Windows for you, but you can't do it the other way round.

Back