Eliminate preinstalled XP on dual boot with Vista on different HDD.

Salam Mr mahmoud...

I really need help, my primary OS is XP on C drive but later on i installed Vista(via XP) on another hard drive. At this time my c drive having a problem with hard disk(spin retry error). So i planned to get rid the XP and and the problematic drive. But when i disconnected the problematic hard disk my Vista wont boot, something like it needs to refer to C.What should i do to make Vista bootable again and become my primary OS?

Make active the partition on your vista drive. Boot from a vista dvd/our recovery disc and preform startup repair.

Guys, can you please keep support to the threads? Visitor messages are not monitored often but your posts will be for sure at least glanced over if not answered and a you'll get a reply as soon as someone has advice to give.

Addendum:

Hi Guru..I've done as u told but still unsuccessful. I planned to edit BCD file but it was too hard to use the command line, i'm afraid any mistake i'll do will lead to boot failure.
So..here are(below) my Vista boot configuration that i extracted using bcdedit. I'm hoping so lot that you could give me how-to the command line. My target is to eliminate the C drive and only use H.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

H:\Users\Abah>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {f28035c9-edda-11dd-9320-e049207d93b7}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=H:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=H:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f28035c9-edda-11dd-9320-e049207d93b7}
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

H:\Users\Abah>

Last edited:
Salam Mr mahmoud...
Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, irwan.chemat. :smile:
I really need help, my primary OS is XP on C drive but later on i installed Vista(via XP) on another hard drive. At this time my c drive having a problem with hard disk(spin retry error). So i planned to get rid the XP and and the problematic drive. But when i disconnected the problematic hard disk my Vista wont boot, something like it needs to refer to C.What should i do to make Vista bootable again and become my primary OS?
Simple. You follow Justin's (Kairozamorro) advice, and set your Vista partition to "active" status, if it is not already, via Diskpart from the Command Prompt on the Vista DVD (or our recovery disk if you don't have one).

First go into your BIOS (accessible, usually, by pressing F2, Del, or similar at startup), though, and check to make sure your Vista drive is first in the boot sequence. If it is not, then make sure to move it up in the boot sequence until it is first (i.e. occupying the place of 0).
Next, save the changes, and exit the BIOS, and see if Vista boots. If it doesn't, then you know one of two things:

1) The Vista partition on your Vista drive must not be set to "active"
2) The Vista boot files (i.e. the hidden "boot" folder containing the BCD file, and the bootmgr in the root, and the winload.exe in /Windows/System32 on your Vista partition) either do not exist on the Vista partition, or are corrupted

In the first case, then all that may be needed is to set the Vista partition to "active", and Vista should boot. In the second case, then you will need to boot from the Vista DVD (by going back into the BIOS to put the CD/DVD drive first in the boot sequence instead of HDD), and perform Startup Repair 2-3 times (since it can only fix one thing per pass) after setting the Vista partition to "active" if it is not already.

Cheers,

Jake

Vista recovered

Thanks mate..

Repair console not detected any problem and did not repair anything. I'm lost of hope untill i used the command prompt to rebuild the BCD. Finally it worked! Phew..what a relief.

Anyhow ..Gazillion thanks to Computer Gurus that helped me a lot, without you all i think i have to reformat and reinstall new Vista.:tongueout:

Back