eliminating duplicate boot entries

MCabZ

Had a dual boot configuration with XP and Win7 in which XP has been successfully eliminated with EasyBCD. Some how I have created a duplicate entry for Win7 in the boot record. Planning in eliminating the XP HDD and therefore have no need for a dual boot configuration nor boot options when starting Windows.

Questions:
1. Will removing the HDD with XP automatically eliminate the boot option screen and thus boot directly into Win7 ?
2. Will selecting skip the boot menu in EasyBCD> Edit boot menu>Delete (one of the Win7 entries) and then Skip the Boot Menu, Save the Settings, suffice ?

TIA

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
  • HDD.jpg
    HDD.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
1) No taking the HDD away won't alter the contents of the BCD on the other disk, which is what's driving the menu.
2) merely removing the surplus entry should be sufficient. Bootmgr should only display the menu if there's a choice.
If you get down to one entry and still get the menu, it indicates some minor corruption of the BCD contents and you could use the "skip" option to circumvent that.

[SOLVED]

1) No taking the HDD away won't alter the contents of the BCD on the other disk, which is what's driving the menu.
2) merely removing the surplus entry should be sufficient. Bootmgr should only display the menu if there's a choice.
If you get down to one entry and still get the menu, it indicates some minor corruption of the BCD contents and you could use the "skip" option to circumvent that.

Thank you for your kind reply. Simply eliminating the duplicate in EasyBCD's Edit Boot Menu options solved the problem. I successfully eliminated XP from the boot menu following WHS's tutorial "Bootmgr - Copy to C:\ with EasyBCD", changed Win7 on C to first boot drive in the BIOS and then followed the steps in "How to Properly Delete a OS in a Dual Boot" at Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Help Forums However, after Step 5 of his tutorial I followed the advice of someone else that recommended a Step 6, which was to launch "Re-create boot files" Under "BCD BACKUP". I believe that the last step "recreation of the boot files" caused the duplicate entry in the bootmgr.

[/SOLVED]

Back