Err2err3 on Vista; EasyRE won't repair boot

Asto

Hi, my husband and I went out of town for a week and our HP HQ500 touch smart Pc was left on and working properly. We came back to a black screen with an ERR2ERR3 message, and rebooting resulted in same message. No idea how this happened! Ran a diagnostic that said everything was fine except for this error message:

Testing: boot path
error code: BIOHD-4
error: uninitialized/corrupt boot structure detected

Hoping to be able to use system restore, I bought the EasyRE repair disk for vista and tried to boot from disc, but screen would hang in blank black screen with flashing dash for several minutes before displaying err2err3 message again. Pushing a button brought up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press a key" but reinserting disc and pressing a key only brought up err2 err3 message again. I went to boot setup screen and selected boot from disc drive option, but still would not boot from DVD. Then went to system settings and changed boot to start with cd drive first. Still no luck! I've also tried partitioning software to try to see if it would start up that program, but same err2err3 message again. I can hear the drive spinning up when disc is inserted, and diagnostic says the drive is functioning, but nothing happens! No idea what to do next! Please help!

Of note, we downloaded and burned the EasyRE repair disc on a Mac and burned to disc from there using disk utility program. Same with partitioning program. Could this be a factor? We don't have any other way to burn the program because the Mac is only other computer.

Guru,
I've already set the computer to boot through the cd drive two different ways. Once by pushing F10(?) during boot up, which got me to a boot settings screen. This screen let me select the cd drive to boot from. But I still got the err2err3 message. So I restarted, and hit F11(?) and got into the Settings screen, which also had a boot from option, and I was able to rank the initial and secondary boot from order. Here I reordered the settings so the CD drive was #1 and hard drive #2. Restarted, but got err2err3 message again! Thanks very much for your suggestions! Any other ideas?

Disc reads: boot.catalog exe file, and a boot folder with boot.catalog exe file and several others. Any specific file I should be looking for?

It *sounds* like it was burned right, but it's clearly not bootable.

Send an email to easyre@neosmart.net with your order number to get a link to a different version of the CD that may work better?

Back