Error 0xc0000007b on XP install on Vista System

Lone Wolf

Hey guys, I hope you can help me out here. Just had my old laptop(Compaq workhorse) bite the bullet for the last time. I was able to harvest the HD from it and what I'm trying to do is load the XP Pro system from that HD onto a freshly created partition on my newer laptop which has Vista SP-1 on it. I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro to create a new primary partition, and was able to load the image of the drive there. I DL'ed and installed EasyBCD 1.7.2 and when that got me as far as creating the boot options on start-up( and my first error: 0xc000000f) I came to the site looking for help. I read about EasyBCD 2.0 and the files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, so I DL'ed the newer version and installed it. I created my new entry and let EasyBCD detect and place those files in their respective positions(C:\) and tried a reboot.
The boot option screen comes up , I select XP Pro and I get the message screen;

Windows failed to start. A Hardware or Software change might be the cause.
1.) Install the Windows install disc and restart the computer
2.) Choose language and click next.
3.) Click repair computer
file: \NTDLR
info: selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

EasyBCD is selecting C:\ as the drive to boot to XP Pro( located in G:\) which I read was not unusual, yet I located both of those files(NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM) in the XP Pro partition when it was loaded. I can't seem to find them in C:\ drive. I could be lookig=ng in the wrong places though.
Questions;
1.) The copy of XP Pro was SP-3 so that shouldn't have a problem with being out of date, correct?
2.) If the copy of the drive I installed is not going to work, I have a mirror copy made with Acronis True Image. Would that help in any way or form?

I don't have the original OS disc, and I can't remember a computer manuf. supplying them since back to WIN 98 SE, so I'm SOL there. And Vista is just not going to play nice with a few of the programs I use quite frequently(Surprise there, huh?), so I really need to get an operating computer with XP on it. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Sorry about being so long winded here, but being a troubleshooter myself in the electrical field, I know that the more info exchanged, as opposed to "it's Broken! fix it." the better you can understand the situation. Thanks for your time.

Hi Wolf, welcome to NST.
what you're describing is one of the bread and butter standard XP dual-boot problems detailed in the wiki. This should be a thing of the past if you're using EasyBCD 2.0, which is designed to make sure everything needed is in the right place.
If you're saying that Easy 2.0 isn't doing the job, we'd better have a look at your system.
Can you attach a screenshot of your disk management display so we can see where "system" is located.
That's where the boot files are (and why Easy points there and not at the XP partition).
If Easy is pointing to C: but the XP boot files haven't been copied there, that explains why your system won't boot, but not why EasyBCD 2.0 didn't put them there (you did accept the offer to configure everything I suppose ?)

Hi Terry,
Enclosed is the screenshot yoou requested;
01_DiskManagement.jpg

I also noticed that the dates on the ntldr & NETDETECT.COM files located in the XP partition are older, but I guess that would be normal, as EasyBCD would just copy those files to the new location, correct?
I went back and reformatted the partition and reloaded the existing drive, making sure I followed all the recommended steps, and allowed EasyBCD to configure the boot process, but it still won't boot to XP. I've included the display box from the EasyBCD screen in Display mode to help see if I'm missing something else, as I don't see much info listed under XP in the "Real-mode Boot Sector" heading;

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {a9a772cc-33f5-11dd-8dd3-f60ab8d5cad9}
resumeobject {a9a772cd-33f5-11dd-8dd3-f60ab8d5cad9}
displayorder {a9a772cc-33f5-11dd-8dd3-f60ab8d5cad9}
{50b10e3b-6174-11de-a86a-001f165ebc4f}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 15
resume No
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {a9a772cc-33f5-11dd-8dd3-f60ab8d5cad9}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {a9a772cd-33f5-11dd-8dd3-f60ab8d5cad9}
nx OptIn
numproc 2
detecthal No
usefirmwarepcisettings No
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {50b10e3b-6174-11de-a86a-001f165ebc4f}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP

Perhaps I have another problem that I not aware of?
Thanks for the speedy response, and I'll await your reply.

Are all of those partitions on one HDD ? (you didn't include the bottom half of the Disk mgmt display).
Can you post a screenshot of the explorer display of your C:\ root, (making sure that your folder options are set like this), and paste a copy of your boot.ini file in with the post.

Hi Terry,
Your very fast this evening. Yes all those partitions are on a single 320GB HD. I can include an expanded shot of my Disk management screen if needed. I also noticed that ntldr and NTDETECT.COM is now in my C:\ directory, as well as in my G:\ directory. Conflict there? I have included a shot of that as well.

Here's my C:\ directory:
C-Directory_part1.jpg

I've over lapped them to keep space;
Directory_part2.jpg

Here's my G:\directory:
G-Directory.jpg

And here's my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on G:\" /fastdetect

I keep an eye and ear out for your reply. Thanks

EasyBCD appears to have functioned correctly and put everything in the right place, so the problem would seem to be more deep seated than an incorrrectly configured dual-boot.
Try wading through this to see if anything applies to you.

Terry,
Thanks for the input. While bouncing through forums and other info on the web, I came across a few mentions that XP doesn't have drivers installed for SATA drives and you need to upgrade those. As the HD that I copied this image from was an IDE drive, I think my problem is there.
Also, while trying to reboot one more time, I noticed a VERY quick flash of a BSOD, but it was too fast to read or capture, so this leads me to believe that EasyBCD is doing what it's supposed to, but my hang is when XP tries to load. On my last reboot attempt, I didn't get an error code, but when it tried to load XP, a blank black screen came up and waited, I then the boot option screen returned. This loop could possibly go on and on until it forced another error, but I had seen enough and booted into Vista to try something else.
I'm going to locate and update my drivers, and see where that leads me.
Thanks again for your help and I'll post my results when I accomplish that.
I want to add, though that your little program is very nice and utile. But, the REAL beauty of it lies in it's ability to allow you to still get back to where you were before you started changing things around in your boot process. I've worked with quite a bit of software, where if you encounter a problem, you end up being dead in the water with very few options, one of which is the dreaded reformatting of a disk, and I'm not going to go into that ugly scheme of things.
OUTSTANDING Job Guys!

Sorry, I've been overlooking the blindingly obvious.
99% of the queries on here are broken boots obviously, so it's easy to just get in the mindset of looking for the boot problem (especially when NTLDR gets mentioned) and overlooking the real problem.
It's not just SATA drivers, though they'll be one problem. Because you're cloning an OS from your previous PC, not installing XP; just about everything will potentially be wrong with it.
The graphics adapter, the monitor, the HDDs will all have the wrong drivers. The registry is still describing your old system, and everything that's not identical will be an error.
The only way out is a repair install of XP to fix all the drivers and reconfigure the registry, and you don't have an XP installation disk.
Even if you did, chances are that the XP system was tied to your previous PC with an xxxxx OEM xxxxxxx xxxxx product key and will not validate on different hardware even if you managed to fix it.

The EULA for your laptop, if it was supplied with XP pre-installed rather than you putting XP on it yourself, will permanently tie the OS licence to that PC and it's not legally usable on any other hardware.

Back