Error message while reinstalling vista

Since I need to change my OS from 32 to 64 bit, I'm reinstalling Windows. I've created an installation disk using a downloaded iso file, and made my way to the installation page, no problem. However when I pass the first step of the installation, where I'm prompted for the activation key etc (which by the way won't let me type in the key, when I do the "next" button is not clickable), I get an error message:

"Windows cannot open the required file F:\Sources\Install.wim. The file does not exist. Make sure all riles required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0X80070002"

I'm thinking the problem is that the files weren't written correctly onto the disk, but I need some help really figuring out what's wrong. I don't have much experience in this field and frankly I'd rather be taking another, hopefully faster, route of changing to 64-bit. But if this is the way to go, I'll do what I can. Help, please >.<

Errpr Message when reinstalling

I have a different situation, I am trying to get this so I can repair Vista, but am getting the same message. I went throught all the instructions and burned the ISO 3 times to new Cds and keep getting the same message that E:\Sources\Install.wim cannot be found, error message 0x80070002.

Please help.

thanks

If you're both talking about our ISO, it's a boot repair disk, not a free copy of Vista.
There are no installation files (look at the size compared to a Vista DVD)
The install button has no function, it's just a MS repair disk originally available from MS when Vista was in Beta, but removed when it went RTM.
We continued to host a copy for our user's convenience when MS stopped. If you have a Vista DVD, it will do the same repair ("repair your computer" - bottom left), but obviously has the install files too.
We provide this for users who have OEM PCs where the OEM didn't provide a portable facility to get back into the OS or the recovery environment in the event of an MBR problem.
In W7, MS has included the facility to create such a repair disc as a standard feature, but not in Vista.

error msg

terry
thanks for responding.
i have a HP Pavilion, all legal, so it has the proper Vista software, etc.

So, i want to repair my OS, without having to copy all my current files as they would be erased if i did another install.

How can i use this ISO to do that?

Larry

I'm afraid it won't help.
Not only are there no installation files, but MS abandoned the concept of the XP "repair install" with Vista.

If you say what your precise problem is, we might be able to help fix it without resorting to a reinstall.

Thanks for the replies.
So I can't actually install windows using that disk? I never received a copy from Microsoft, so how would I go about reinstalling it? Of course I'm open to any advice if there's another method to switch my OS to 64bit.

You would need to borrow a disk from a friend, or request a replacement/recovery set from your OEM. If you end up having to pay for a replacement disc you may just consider upgrading to W7, though that would be a new license, and more expensive since you don't have a working installation you could use with an upgrade disc.

I see. I don't think it's likely I'll be able to obtain the disk in the near future then.
That said, what could I do now to approach my situation? My computer is 64bit compatible but is currently running 32. I need to change that in order to use Adobe CS5, which only operates in a 64bit environment. I'd really rather not get a new computer. Can I do this without having to reinstall vista?

Reading the results of the google search, one might be led believe that it's possible to do so... but it's not.

Just for clarification's sake, those results point to converting from 64-to-32 or vice-versa in the case of having the source code available. If it's not available, you won't be able to do much about it.

Only thing you *can* do: if your processor support virtualization (Intel VT-x or VT-d), you can install an x64 OS as a guest on your x86 host (with VMware, VirtualBox, VPC, etc.) and install Photoshop CS5 there.

Back