Error Opening BCD Registry

oh merry

Capture2.PNG

Hi!

So I'm trying to use easyBCD and I get this error before even getting nowhere. I'm guessing that its because i have the recovery drive and the system (Windows 10 x64 ) in different disks. I made a mess installing de ssd originally:
Capture.PNG

Wanted to backup/repair but I see zero entries / bootloader settings, and I cant find that error either in the user guide.
h elp?

thanks in advance

Note that this isn't normally required unless Windows itself is somehow left unaware of what the boot partition is.

For me, windows ws unable to find the boot partition? but it's booting fine, now tho -thanks Terry !- after asigning a letter to the partition I've found the BCD, but haven't actually changed anything yet cuz I want to get a couple of days with no work to do before maybe fucking up the computer any further.

Capture.PNG

Okay so now that i have located de bcd I can run the software, but when I use the change boot drive I get that error mensage: "An attempt was made to change the boot partition to a logical drive, which is not allowed. The boot partition must be a primary partition. yadayada change"
And that happens when I try to change the boot partition from E: to S: (S: being a new efi partition i just made)
I tried to making the partition into a primary partition but i get the same error
Capture2.PNG

any further sugestion as to whan can possibly be wrong would be so very appreciated ;_;

If you read on down, there's still a way to get the boot files into that new drive using the installation media's boot repair function.

Ended up formatting and setting up dual boot from ubuntu after that, ended up being the most straightforward solution, since all my files were already in a different disk - i was getting lost with the whole install in isolation
turned out perfectly fine so I'm glad
ty for all the suggestions :smile:

Note that while EasyBCD does not correctly detect primary/logical partitions in a GPT configuration (the issue Terry linked to from thread 21270), the premise of having EasyBCD change the boot partition on an EFI/GPT installation is fundamentally flawed because there can only ever be one ESP (EFI boot partition) and it is always loaded from the primary boot device as set up in the BIOS/firmware. If you booted into Windows successfully (in EFI mode), then by default you have an ESP (otherwise you wouldn't have been able to boot), so there's really nothing left for EasyBCD to do in this case.

By contrast, in an MBR configuration the BIOS depends on (but is incapable of changing) the disk layout, which EasyBCD tweaks to set the active boot partition.

A "fixed" EasyBCD would probably just have that option greyed out for EFI installations. It could act by changing the ESP to a basic FAT partition and changing a selected FAT partition to an ESP, but I'm not sure if that is wise.

Back