Fascinating: Raising The Costa Concordia Live

That is a completely interesting story. Watching something on NetFlix about that ship and its sinking. When will people learn not about big ships?

Well they got it raised....slightly. Looks like it's going to take a lot longer than they thought. Amazing operation considering she's bigger than the Titanic. Watching a live feed from the Mediterranean brought back a lot of great memories of holidays gone by.

Yeah I was reading they estimated 15-18 hours. What a joke. That thing was on its side. No way they would get it upright in that amount of time. Will say that yes it is amazing that they are trying to remove it from the coast line. It will greatly help that area to fully recover from this incident without having to be reminded of it daily.

Well it's already raised up 24° from where it lay and, according to the news conference I watched, they should have it upright by another 40° soon by filling those big square tanks you see on the port side with water. It could happen relatively quickly in that case because the ship will only be able to roll one way - upright, assuming nothing breaks in the meanwhile. They have a platform built underwater for it to rest on and the base of it's hull is fairly flat anyway. Then they have to float it with air tanks and eventually tow it away, something that may not happen until spring I believe. The whole thing is costing $1-billion, amazing. I wish they'd spend a fraction of that keeping me afloat!!

Well that is what I heard. They are not moving it till sometime next year. Making me wonder why they are going through all of this now just to let it continue to sit where it was. That makes no sense to get that thing back upright, only to let it continue to sit and possibly have issues come up causing this project to cost even more. What happens if one of the air tanks rupture before spring? that means it has to be replaced, inflated and finally made sure it is safe to tow. To me if they knew they didnt plan on moving the dang thing, might as well left it where it was and how it was. then go through this project of getting it upright to move. If they could spend that much money on trying to get some countries out of poverty or get other countries out of debt it would be worth it. Not to get this thing floating just to tow it for scrap.

I think they wanted to get it upright (which it is now) and sitting firmly on the platform they made for it before the stormy weather starts. The Mediterranean Sea is deceptive, we all know it as calm and blue but it can be quite the opposite sometimes.

I agree regarding the seeming inequities in where money gets spent. We live in a rather lopsided world.

All bodies of water are deceptive. But you kinda just helped the point I was trying to make. There is no saying that the Mediterranean Sea is going to play nice now that the behemoth is upright. In fact, as you state, it could be something far worse and actually cause more issues now that it is upright. While the platform is nice, there is no saying it will keep the behemoth in place if things go nuts as we know they can out there. For all we know the weather could take the dang thing away with the right conditions.

But I digress. It just seems like for as much that has gone right, 10X could go wrong with the wait till spring. As far as the money goes. Ugh! Could feed how many people with that type of money? Could research the cure for how many different things? Just seems so wrong that of all things we are worried about this scrap heap. But it isnt my money to spend. I just have to live with the press it gets cause it is spent.

Back