fedora 10 n window 7

roland

I have window 7 installed in my laptop,however i wan to try fedora 10.So i would like to dual boot both os on my laptop.However,i have read somewhere regarding linux os should be installed on vfat format drive,does this mean that i had to format my window 7 drive as well(so tat it could recongize my window 7 drive n show the grub menu when boot up?And I had partition my drive c for window 7,the middle one for data drive(d:\) and the last one was unallocated for fedora,will my os(window 7 )be unstable if i installed fedora 10 on my last partition which i set unallocated?

Addendum:

one more thing,my partition are in the following order show in my disk management in window 7,the first parition is 200mb for system file,second partition is C:\ with my window 7 installed on it,followed by d:\ which i used to backup files and lastly the unallocated partition.

Last edited:
You don't have to reformat your W7 or backup partitions.
You can go one of 2 ways.

Install Linux to the empty space and let grub take over the MBR, using grub to dual-boot Linux/W7,

or Install Linux to the empty space, using "advanced" options to make grub install to the Linux partition boot sector, not to the MBR, and then use EasyBCD 2.0 Beta to add an entry for Linux to your W7 BCD, and dual-boot with W7 in charge.

If you go the second route, your W7 should remain totally untouched and bootable throughout, the first route should auto-detect W7, but there's a chance you'll only have the Linux available at first if you end up having to add W7 to grub manually.

If you're experienced with Linux it shouldn't be a problem, If you're a Windows user the second route might make you more comfortable.

(You can always use the W7 DVD to "repair" the W7 boot and put it back in charge, so no great danger either way.)

Last edited:
Thanks a million
By the way,if i use the first method,is is true that window read the partition starting from 1 however linux read partition starting from 0,hence the grub only can read my last partition as 2 and the window 7 as 0?Will it be a problem?
If i try the second method,using the W7 boot manager,how to use easyECD to make my partition of W7 and Linux partition hidden from each other(Becos the grub allow the H&S hide and seek,but i like the boot manager from W7).Hope to get ur answer soon.

Thanks a million
By the way,if i use the first method,is is true that window read the partition starting from 1 however linux read partition starting from 0,hence the grub only can read my last partition as 2 and the window 7 as 0?Will it be a problem?
Yep. That is correct. Linux counts partitions starting at 0, instead of 1, so if your Win 7 partition is your first partition, then yes, you would need to enter the value of 0 in the root line of your Win 7 entry in your menu.lst that looks like this:
root (hdx,y)
where the "x" is the drive, and the "y" is the partition.

Jake

But there is a partition created by window 7 for system file which is 200 mb in size,the second partition then was window 7,so does it means tat i had to change it to 1 instead 0?

But there is a partition created by window 7 for system file which is 200 mb in size,the second partition then was window 7,so does it means tat i had to change it to 1 instead 0?

Sorry, forgot about the 200 MB "system" partition that Win 7 automatically creates. :smile: In that case, you would need to point the Win 7 entry at that partition instead. If that is the second partition, then yes, the value would be 1 and not 0.

So tat means that if i had 4 partition,first is 200 mb system file,second window 7,third data file,then unused partition for fedora to be installed,will fedora core 10 able to auto detect my window 7 and add an entry to my grub boot list?
sry to disturb becos i am a noobie for linux so not tat sure whether to play with the grub.

So tat means that if i had 4 partition,first is 200 mb system file,second window 7,third data file,then unused partition for fedora to be installed,will fedora core 10 able to auto detect my window 7 and add an entry to my grub boot list?
sry to disturb becos i am a noobie for linux so not tat sure whether to play with the grub.

Ok, so if your "system" partition is the first partition, then you *would* need to have 0 entered in the partition value in your menu.lst. :wink: Yes, in theory, Fedora should automatically detect Win 7 when you install it and add it to the menu.lst, and the menu.lst should be configured correctly...but if it so happens it doesn't, then you will need to understand how Grub syntax works, so you can correct the problem.

window 7 is unable to boot when i assign the to the window 7,even when i change to the system,both unable to work,it show message such as missing bootmgr or bcd error message,so i fix it by copy the bootmgr n boot file from 200mb system partition tat is created by window 7 during its installation and move it to the window 7 entry partition,and fix the problem.

Addendum:

however there another problem happened,the fedora is unable to show it plymouth bootscreen which i wanted badly.Do any of u know how to enable to plymouth graphical bootscreen and tell me how to enable thosse fancy desktop effect like compiz fusion and those window gadget like on desktop For linux fedora 10????????

Last edited:
window 7 is unable to boot when i assign the to the window 7,even when i change to the system,both unable to work,it show message such as missing bootmgr or bcd error message,so i fix it by copy the bootmgr n boot file from 200mb system partition tat is created by window 7 during its installation and move it to the window 7 entry partition,and fix the problem.

Sounds like the entry in your menu.lst was pointed at the Win 7 OS partition, instead of the 200 MB "system" partition... :wink: You could have easily fixed that by simply pointing it at the 200 MB partition instead, which will have most likely been the value of 0 for partition, as I stated in my last post. :smile: But naturally, copying the "bootmgr" file and "boot" folder over to the Win 7 partition resulted in Win 7 booting, since that is the partition the entry was pointed at in your Fedora menu.lst...but you could have achieved the same result by simply changing where the entry was pointed in the "root" line. :wink:

Back