Firefox Grammar Check Plugin

aligator

Distinguished Member
is there one i can get that will work with Firefox so that my grammar is not written as so bad as it is currently right now i know it has a spelling check but i also want grammar:huh::rage::lol::glare::tongueout:oint::tongueout:oint::booyah::booyah::wink::O

The grammar checkers are not that accurate anyways. They will not consider a short sentence anything but a fragment. Even if you know it to be a compelete thought.

I just tested that by copying my latest couple of replies to Word 2007 before posting them, and it didn't find any problems with my grammar... I would guess that it depends on which grammar-checking engine is being used? If that's the case, Word 2007's grammar checker appears to be pretty good with short sentences then.

I googled for a Firefox grammar checker - there's absolutely no such thing at the moment. As a matter of fact, this very post comes up as the 15th result on Google, so either there's way too little on this topic or we have really good SEO......

Last time i tried a Grammar checker it was back with Office 2003. So it could have gotten better since.

I dont think that a grammar check for internet speak is a good idea.
What would it say to LOL or other internet phrases?

Another thing is that some of the people that come to these boards dont necessarily speak perfect English, seeing as theyre from all over the world. Maybe a grammar checker would be good for them but then again i dont think the grammar checker would fix it if someone wrote:

"Easy BCD works not " instead of "doesnt work."
Addendum
As i thought Word doesnt show it as wrong if i write it wrong.

"As a matter of fact, this very post comes up as the 15th result on Google, so either there's way too little on this topic or we have really good SEO."
I searched for "reverse scrollwheel direction", after posting my request in the Wishlist last year, and the number one hit on the whole world-wide-web was my own post in this forum !!

I know what you mean...

Sometimes I get frustrated when searching for a bootloader-related issue and finding page after page talking about using EasyBCD when I'm trying to fix something that EasyBCD won't do :lol:

well i think that it would be worth making don't you think i'm sure there were a couple of questions on yahoo answers too

Not really. It is very difficult. Cause you would have to do it like the dictionary's as well. A different Grammar extension for each part of the world as not every place around the world things that USA Grammar is the best. Or that UK GRammar is better. So how would you make a extension for Grammar and have to do it for Japanese when there is around 23 different characters for a single word.

OR was that Chinese...

But the point still remains. Even if you created a flawless Grammar extension. Doesnt mean it would even be used. I know i wouldnt use it. I know my Grammar isnt the best. But i do not need something telling me at all times about it. I sya what i mean and i get my point across. If i use fragment sentences or run-ons or incomplete thoughts. So be it. At least people know what i am trying to say. :tongueout:

I don't know why all this discussion considering half of you never use the spellcheck that's built in here anyway....LOL
(Had to get that dig in, sorry).

IMHO grammar and spelling don't have anything to do with plugins..... it's a matter of getting used to writing stuff the right way; whether or not your browser nags you with a green/red/purple/turquoise squiggly line or not is relatively immaterial....

I don't know why all this discussion considering half of you never use the spellcheck that's built in here anyway....LOL
(Had to get that dig in, sorry).
I use the spell checks. Just CBA to correct it half the time.
IMHO grammar and spelling don't have anything to do with plugins..... it's a matter of getting used to writing stuff the right way; whether or not your browser nags you with a green/red/purple/turquoise squiggly line or not is relatively immaterial....
I have never had a complaint about how i write stuff. So i never know if i write it the right way or not. I was never a English major. I always jsut got by with that class in school. :lol:

Speaking of grammar is medicines a correct word (apparently it is since it doesnt show up red)
Just wondering since i heard it in a George Dubblya speech.
He said "we will bring them food, medicines, ....."
I would think "medicine" would be the correct term in this sentence but im not sure.

Medicine is defined as a "mass noun" in the Oxford English Dictionary, meaning it does not normally have a plural.
However under Countdown rules (if that means anything to all non-UK residents), if it has a sense in which it could be purchased as a countable item "Do you have a good selection of cough medicines in stock ?" then the plural form is acceptable, and as a 9 letter word, would in this case score 18 points with the bonus. (If Susie Dent says it's OK, that's good enough for me !)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_Dent

Last edited:
Back