FireFox Users beware !

And "FireFox is the safest browser" often heard in discussions? Nothing is ever totally invulnerable. Come out with a totally new browser and someone will come up with a bug for it!

I generally never use that browser anyways. IE8 beta 2 and Apple's Safari are on at the moment and I may consider the latest version of the Opera browser.

I just installed Opera 9.62 here to replace FF 3.0 for one. Plus too many problems getting on or seeing the connection broken with IE not responding with 7 now 8 beta2 left me with no other options then Safari and better for saving IE links/favorites Opera!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use safari if I'm on my iPod as it's the only browser out there for the touches, however firefox 3 is my main browser on all my systems and I never got the hang of IE7...and yes even macs are vunerbale...very vunerable :tongueout:

Nick is right. Safari for Windows is worse than IE. It wasnt even a day after it was released when the first flaw was found. They have patched a few. But since their updates for Windows only comes when they release a new version of the browser there are still plenty of flaws that were found since the 3.2 release.

Talk about security holes IE 6 was full of them! Opera 9.62 is however a step over Safari will not seeing the spell checker but "FAVORITES" from IE. With IE 8 you now can only see a new page added to what? the new bookmarks bar rather then saved in Favorites since that no longer sees the add button for that.

Nick is right. Safari for Windows is worse than IE. It wasnt even a day after it was released when the first flaw was found. They have patched a few. But since their updates for Windows only comes when they release a new version of the browser there are still plenty of flaws that were found since the 3.2 release.

And to think Apple is forcing thier browser upon Windows users with it automatically checked during the update proccess. They even recheck it when newer versions come even though you've ignored it before.... how frustrating. Have had to remove Safari from three computers alone this week to the surprise of thier users. Its getting even worse too. The newest version of iTunes completely chokes if QuickTime isn't present. Uninstalling it in the past hasn't been a problem, but now it is if you need iTunes in order to work with your iPod.

Not to say I'm a complete nay-sayer to Apple software, but they should keep it to thier platform.

You never heard of cross platformism? LInux running in a virtual window on Windows. Windows running on a virtual machine in Linux. Apple wants a cut too! :brows:

When getting blasted to put the latest version of ITunes on you can easily uncheck the box for Safari easy enough. The same goes when seeing the Google or other toolbar already checked off when downloading a 3rd party freeware that gets annoying.

I'm new here looking to learn more about linux spcifcaly ubuntu 8.10 but i need to buy external hd for my acer aspire 6530, any how pc-eye could you elaborate on cross platform??? What does it do? Benifits/defects how does it run?? Is it worth trying? Does it change much stuff?? Work like emulator? Etc......

It would be helpful thanx

Addendum:

Energywizardi'm new here looking to learn more about linux spcifcaly ubuntu 8.10 but i need to buy external hd for my acer aspire 6530, any how pc-eye could you elaborate on cross platform??? What does it do? Benifits/defects how does it run?? Is it worth trying? Does it change much stuff?? Work like emulator? Etc......

It would be helpful thanx

Addendum:

Ahh thats funny this is gona take some gettin used too

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about security holes IE 6 was full of them! Opera 9.62 is however a step over Safari will not seeing the spell checker but "FAVORITES" from IE. With IE 8 you now can only see a new page added to what? the new bookmarks bar rather then saved in Favorites since that no longer sees the add button for that.
I have a topic at Tech-Forums about how to get the spell checker for Opera. So dont try to say it isnt possible. Not to mention the new Opera 10 Alpha that is posted about has a spell checker. So it is coming.

I have a topic at Tech-Forums about how to get the spell checker for Opera. So dont try to say it isnt possible. Not to mention the new Opera 10 Alpha that is posted about has a spell checker. So it is coming.

I didn't mean to give you the idea that it couldn't be put in. I was simply mentioning not seeing it when comparing Opera to Safari while the Apple browser makes it clear that a spell checker is present for sure! :happy:

You have to admit Safari loads things up a good deal faster. But it lacks in other areas. With Opera one item noticed was not being able to see smileys when going to post. You click on one and nothing happens. So besides the lack of a spell checker it also seems lack something else while still being preferred over 3.1.

The real disappointment however was what I found when going to use IE 8 and you can no longer add pages into the favorites but formerly links bar only since that's where the page goes once you click the plus button. That was rather a letdown seeing that change. :unamused:

Safari doesnt load faster for me. Opera loads the fastest. With IE8 RC1 being 2nd now and Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 being 3rd. Safari falls 4th on the list of fast browsers for me.

The no smilies thing. Turn on images. It is a box at the bottom of the page. You did that. Not opera. Must have clicked it when you thought you were scrolling or something. Cause i can see every smiliey on every forum.

Sorry mate i have yet to see any disadvantage that you are trying to say about Opera. Cause most of it is not from them.

Not to mention Safari doesnt pass Acid3 while Opera 10 Alhpa does.

Addendum:

Energy Wizard...

Please turn OFF your CAPS lock. Having it on is like shouting in real life. It is un-needed and not necessary. Please edit your post and remove the all caps or i will have to remove the post. It jsut isnt right to have it up with all caps everywhere.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'll have to find the thread you started on Safari on the other site if needed with the download link provided there at the time since that was when I first tried out the 3.0 beta release. 'Safari Public 3 Beta for Windows" was the title there.

Last edited:
Seems i was a bit hasty in my last reply cause if you had looked you would see this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10096795-83.html

Just last month. There has yet to be a flaw found in that browser. Yet again you may be happy with it. That is fine. Good for you. Seriously. But many dont like it or choose not to use it.

And to say that it is faster on every PC is just listening to Apple's propaganda. It is bogus. It loads CSS faster but takes longer for the non-CSS content then every other browser. That i have seen on various browser benchmark tests.

Every system is unique. You know that. You should know jsut as well that every person using those systems is unique and will not find what you like and think the same exact thing. Just because you like it doesnt mean that others will. Just because i like Opera doesnt mean others will. It has about as much user base on Windows as Chrome and Safari. Do i care? No. Cause I know it is a good browser. But at the same time I also use others.

Last edited:
I'm not actually for it or against it. I was simply finding Safari would load up fast while IE 7 and IE 8 Beta 2 dragged just to get to the home page. Safari lacks the option to import IE favorites while seeing a spell checker included. I don't generally need the red line seen with 3.2 now on.

Opera while coming with that included immediately imported the IE favorites. It also sees a second folder for bookmarks making things far easier there. The problem with smileys however was that they were turned on but couldn't be clicked on and then appear in a post. I found that one odd meaning I may have seen only a partial not full install being the first copy of 9.62 downloaded.

I hardly ever use IE, except when I have to, currently I use Firefox, and just updated to Firefox 3.

Originally I used Netscape but was getting frustrated using it after AOL took over. Switched to Firefox (because it is Mozilla) and haven't looked back since.

It depends on what you want to see in a browser. Here with a ton of links saved on the spot with the add option I can keep track of various things like download pages for utilities or some specific articles or references of some type. FireFox sees bookmarks instead simply renaming that part.

In IE you have the option of unchecking the lock toolbars option and sliding the links bar out just like you would see with the bookmarks bar in FF or Safari. My grievance however is now seeing the add button with IE 8 for the links bar instead of the IE favorites! :wtf: For IE it looks like it will be staying with 7 until 7 is out! :lol:

Back