[FIXED] Cannot exit EasyBCD if I eject portable drive while its BCD Store is loaded

kthejoker

Steps to reproduce:

1) Insert portable USB drive.
2) Create BCD partition and load its BCD store.
3) Edit boot menu (added 1 ISO boot entry in my case.)
4) Go to Windows Explorer and eject drive.
5) Try to exit EasyBCD (using all possible methods: Alt+F4, clicking the red X in the window menu, going to File -> Exit)

Expected Result:
EasyBCD exits.

Actual Result:
EasyBCD pops up dialog indicating "Cannot find BCD Store at <Drive Letter>:\boot\bcd". WHen you click OK, EasyBCD remains open.

Additional Information:

Finally killed the process via Task Manager, which raised a "Not Responding" message from EasyBCD forcing a hard kill of the process.

Try doing 5 before 4.
Why would you remove a file open in an app before closing the app ?
Those symptoms would be exhibited by just about any program unable to close open resources before ending.

Last edited:
I'll try to fix the hang, but you MUST NOT eject before closing EasyBCD - it hasn't saved its changes yet! Your USB won't work as you expect it to.

Thanks for the detailed bug report, btw.

Try doing 5 before 4.
Why would you remove a file open in an app before closing the app ?
Those symptoms would be exhibited by just about any program unable to close open resources before ending.

Just logged in to point out that this right here is why the Internet sucks. You are a moderator, and you're berating your users? It's one thing to think it, but you don't post it. Try a little bit of the Golden Rule there. You're supposed to be the public face of the community, and your first response is to be defensive and invoke PEBKAC? And you guys expect me to shell out money for this kind of support? Would you say that to my face if I were a customer walking into your store with this issue?

Not to mention how wrong you are technically. I've ejected drives with open Notepad docs, Word docs, Excel sheets, SQLite database connections, C# solutions, JPEGs, AVIs, and myriad other resources, and those programs at least had the decency to let me close them once the resource was no longer available. Obviously I don't expect the files to magically be saved or handled by the system after I've removed them from it; I just expect the program, when a resource is no longer available, to still be able to close.

And more importantly, I expect a level of response to an obvious bug somewhere above "you're stupid."

Addendum:

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious by that post, thank you, Mahmoud, for both offering to look into and fix the hang as well as the tone of your response.

Last edited:
If you interpreted my reply as "you're stupid", I'm very sorry, though I must say your response seems way over the top.
This forum is an information resource for over one hundred thousand registered users and countless millions of guests, who mine it for answers to problems, real or perceived.
My response to your post was aimed at ensuring that the obvious workaround was documented alongside the problem, and I had no doubt whatsoever that CG, being the obliging fellow he invariably is, would offer to attempt to program around it in a future build in any case.
Sorry again for the offence you so obviously took. This forum is noted for its politeness. Flamers and trolls are discouraged and quickly banned for that very reason, so I am mortified to be taken for such and not the kindly purveyor of common sense which I aim for. The English "tongue in cheek" comment is obviously a cultural minefield best avoided. I'll try harder in future.

(btw support here, for what it's worth, comes entirely gratis as does the software for private use. The only charge (for the MS repair disk) is entirely at their insistence and for their financial benefit, not ours)

Last edited:
kthejoker, I think the outrage of your last post is uncalled for. Terry is our best and most helpful support moderator, and it's clear that his reply was simply concise and to the point. His post certainly did not contain any ad hominem attacks. Terry answered from a support perspective: what to do to work around or avoid a problem for users having trouble with the software, while I answered from a developer's POV: I'll fix it.

What *I* hate about the internet is how hard it is to judge tone and intent from a couple of written words. Sarcasm is perceived as dead-pan naivete, and helpful, if rushed, responses are misinterpreted as insults and it's honestly no one's fault, just a matter of perception.

@kthejoker: this issue has been fixed in EasyBCD build 180. Had to do with an incorrectly-located exception handler. I've tested it myself and was able to both reproduce your described behavior and verify that it was fixed in the latest build.

Thank you again for your help.

Back