Fixing a BCD Store on another drive

netbones

Hi All,

I recently started getting the boot error that complains about winload.exe being corrupt or missing. I tried using the Vista install cd and following the instructions to fix the boot loader, but to no avail.

I finally installed another drive, installed Vista Ultimate fresh (upgraded to SP2), and downloaded EasyBCD. I've selected the external store, but I can't seem to get it to fis the boot loader.

Has anyone gone through this, and if so can you give me some tips? I'm not confident that when I select the external store that it's actually working on it, the warning messages, although very thorough, still refer to the C:\ drive. I want to truly make sure I am working solely on the other store (it's attached as a secondary drive on the system).

BTW, I did try to run bootsect on it from the Vista Repair command prompt, to no avail.

Thanks in advance -

Hi Netbones, welcome to NST
Try entering your BIOS, and putting the HDD that contains the corrupted winload.exe first in the boot sequence, and then boot your Vista install dvd again, and run Startup Repair 2-3 times (since it can only fix one thing per pass), and that should fix it.

Cheers,

Jake

Hi,

I've ran it over 20 times actually. The error comes up as a corrupt system volume, same error every time and it never fixes it. I was hoping to delete the store and recreate it, I just want to make sure that when I use EasyBCD it doesn't touch the current booting store.

Go to command prompt:

chkdsk c: /r

That might take awhile to complete. After that give startup repair another go.

Back