Fooshlisly restored old vista bootloader now wont boot

frustrated999

Distinguished Member
I had reinstall XP because the primary partition was moved to a new SATA hard drive from an ATA one and XP required the SATA drive to be installed for it to boot. Well I got XP back up and running but foolishly used EasyBCD to restore the bootloader and now neithe XP nor Vista will boot. I did make a back up before restoring the bootloader from within EasyBCD but have no idea how to use the backup.

How do I restore XP bootloader at least so that I can get XP back up and running.

Help!

Use startup repair from a recovery disc or OS DVD to get Vista to boot again. Use EasyBCD to add an entry to boot XP.

If you were having problems before restoring the bootloader with starting XP, you should use bootcfg /fixboot and bootcfg /fixmbr from an XP CD to get XP to boot again before doing the startup repair for Vista.

Use startup repair from a recovery disc or OS DVD to get Vista to boot again. Use EasyBCD to add an entry to boot XP.

If you were having problems before restoring the bootloader with starting XP, you should use bootcfg /fixboot and bootcfg /fixmbr from an XP CD to get XP to boot again before doing the startup repair for Vista.

The problem is that I still think Vista will have the same boot up problem that XP had 2 days ago when the hard drive was changed from IDE to SATA because Vista like XP was not using the SATA driver to boot with when the O/S was installed. The only way I see of getting Vista up and running is to do a repair install on it as well and to load the SATA driver if I can find one for Vista. What use is the backup that I made from EasyBCD? Is this back up only usable if windows runs and in turn EasyBCD can be used to restore the backup??

EasyBCD has to be installed on a working Windows machine. Like you said, a repair install of XP should do the trick for getting XP to use the new hardware.

Go ahead and run Vista's repair anyway to see if it works... better then having to re-install everything :smile:

SATA drivers are already in the Vista sytem, they'll be found automatically. It's only XP pre SP2 that doesn't have them included.

Back