Free EasyBCD requires I purchase a license?

ArKay99

I just downloaded EasyBCD and installed it. I have an old Legacy BIOS system with Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows 10 both on their own hard drives. I want to keep Vista because I have some programs that are still very useful to me. I installed Windows 10 without the Vista drive being installed, then later decided to plug it back in. I can use the BIOS boot utility to do that but sometimes it's missed. I just want to add another boot configuration for the Vista drive to my Windows 10 BCD. EasyBCD being free and graphical is perfect. However after I installed it, it asked me to purchase a license to which I said no, then when attempting to add the new boot config nothing happens when I hit Add, even after I donated $5...I'm on a small home domain, could that be the problem?

EasyBCD is free for home use though I have occasionally seen similar complaints.
I think it might have something to do with the registration process
If you get it from here after uninstalling the other copy and deleting the Neosmart folder from your user/yourname/AppData/Local folder
https://neosmart.net/Download/Register
but leave the registration blank
see if it works then.

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. I got back to this today, applied your instructions, and tried the link you provided on 2 different machines with the same outcome. "This page isn't working right now" HTTP ERROR 405. I tried backing out to Download and that 405'd too. If I back out to neosmart.net I get the general product page.

A little more info...I went to the EasyBCD product page and clicked on register. When I got to the downooad page I noticed the URL is what you posted to me. Not sure why it wouldn't let me go there from an external link...anyway, I just hit download without entering any registration info and got a download. However, after I installed it (I just clicked on the exe in the downloads folder and following the prompts), I got an install. However, the outcome is the same. When I invoke the program I get a dialog, "Product License Error!" stating, "A product license is required to use EasyBCD in a commercial environment. Would you like to purchase one now?..." the choices I have are Yes and No. I am using it on Windows 10 Professional, booting from a legacy AMI BIOS V3.9 (last bios update for the MB) MSI X58 Platinum SLI(MS-7522) V1.0.

In that case, only the author can say how the internal code logic determines that it's in a commercial environment. It's not something that's ever happened to me. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait around and hope that he turns up soon in the forum to see your thread - sorry !

Well, then can I have my $5 donation back or forwarded as credit towards a license? In good faith I donated it because I thought I was going to be able to use the free version and wanted to give something to the devs.

Back